Arri High speed SR

Andrew Wilding

Im in the market for a good, quiet super 16 package. Ive currently got my eye on a HSR arri sr. I plan to shoot primarily at 23.97 and only use the high speed capabilitys sparingly. Is this camera quiet enough to use as an a camera for a narrative project? Are the high speed models louder than standard arri's, even at regular speed? How might sound compare with an SR3? Might a a barney be enough to permit good and easy sound recording?

Thanks!

My Arri SR history is a little hazy, so I don't know if the High Speed version was available from the SR1, but I do know that even well maintained SR1s can be a little noisy. A barney will help, but don't expect the same low noise levels that you could get from a Aaton LTR. That said, I shot plenty of film school projects on an old SR1, and we never had a problem. The SR2 is a little quieter, and they should be fine for sync sound if they have been looked after.

• Premium Member

A High Speed SR2 will run louder than a standard SR2, even at 24fps. The main difference (apart from the motor) is a marginally larger registration pin and a fixed pressure plate in the magazine.

The rated noise level is 32 dB for a HS SR2 at 24fps, compared to 25 dB for a standard. This assumes they have been maintained.

By comparison, at the same speed a HS SR3 is rated at 27 dB, and a standard SR3 at 20 dB.

For most scenarios a maintained HS SR2 with a barney is fine for sync sound work.