Academy Awards 2011 - Cinematography nominees

Edgar Dubrovskiy

You do realize that a lot of the people voting for this award don't even know what Cinematography is, right? It's given out as a consolation prize these days, as is evidenced by last year's winner, who only lensed 30% of the actual movie. Yes, I am still bitter about this. The only possible movie that would have made me more bitter would be "Toy Story 3" winning the top nod for our craft.

It would be interesting if "Inception" won from the point of the "film vs. digital" perspective. That would mean that Finished-On-Film movies would have won 2/4 times and digital movies (well, at least part of "Slumdog) have won the other two.

Under the "consolation" model that is used, I think it is very likely that "True Grit," "King's Speech," and "Black Swan" are the only three that are *really* in the running. I really hope that the Academy will prove me wrong though!

I wasn't thrilled with "Inception" overall, but it was beautifully lensed. I haven't seen all the movies on the list, but I bet it should be "on the podium" if the Cinematography nod were given out as the award was originally intended.

There was one particularly striking composition, I think it was a row of sinks, that just had an amazing symmetry to it. The composition and the lighting are supposed to serve the story but I really enjoy seeing a film's budget employed in the artistry of composition, contrast, lighting, and color palette as opposed to being spent on the number of explosions, big name talent, and CGI.

Granted, for me personally, I have trouble separating art direction and cinematography. But at least these two fields feed off one another (often movies that win in the one field, win the other as well), as opposed to awarding someone the trophy for cinematography for basically shooting an apple exploding at a million frames per second with 9 cameras in front of a green screen.

Overall I was rather a bit underwelmed by this year's batch of nominees, especially compared past years which gave us "There Will Be Blood," "The Assassination of Jesse James," "No Country for Old Men," and "The Dark Knight."

Roger Deakin's is sorely overdue, but "True Grit" was not his best work (the green-screened midnight ride climax was painful to watch), and I want him to win for an undeniable masterpiece, something on par with his double nominated work back in '07. If he wins, it won't be because his work was the best, but because he's overdue, and I just KNOW he's got another masterwork in him. At least.

Regarding "Black Swan," I felt many of the stylistic choices made were the wrong ones. The lighting was not what I thought was right for the film, and the inconsistent grain structure from shot to shot (sharp one minute, a swarm of gnats the next) was distracting. And I just. really. **(obscenity removed)**. hate. shaky-cam.

I was struck by "The King's Speech," and in this case that's not a good thing. The odd compositions (wallpaper anyone?) and the almost fisheye wide angle lenses drew attention to themselves, but I'm mot sure they served the story. It felt like he was trying too hard.

"The Social Network" felt utterly conventional to me. As I wrote in a different thread, I'm really getting burned out on the whole trend of lighting every night scene piss yellow. It just feels derivative of Pfister's work, and I'd rather give an Oscar to the guy who sat on the forefront of this style, rather than someone who just rode his coattails and appropriated it without adding anything new.

Which brings me to Wally Pfister and "Inception." I admit I was mixed on his work when I first saw the film, feeling that he could've done more to explore the lighting possibilities of each of the multilayered dreams. I think he could've flexed his muscles a bit more. However, he did do a good job of making coherent what was a very complex story structure, and I just love the guy to death for keeping 65mm alive (albeit on life support).

So my vote would be for Wally Pfister, and I think Inception will clean up in the technical categories year.

BR

PS: Ditto on Fiore and Avatar. Biggest crime in the cinematography category since Jack Cardiff was denied a nomination for "The Red Shoes."

Only watched Inception and The Social Network, but I hope (with all with my heart) that Roger Deakins receives his well-deserved Oscar this year. Although I would like to point out that Wally Pfister did a wonderful job on Inception and to be honest, I'm pretty sure he will win this one.

The Social Network is one of those nominees you just don't get, even though it's nice to see the films shot on RED, competing with the big guys.

Well the camera work sure as hell wasn't stable and steady...

not all handheld is shaky-cam. shaky-cam is violently and deliberately shaking the camera; handheld simply means the camera is being operated in the hands/on the shoulder. shaky-cam is a handheld technique but not the only handheld technique.

not all handheld is shaky-cam. shaky-cam is violently and deliberately shaking the camera; handheld simply means the camera is being operated in the hands/on the shoulder. shaky-cam is a handheld technique but not the only handheld technique.

It could be we differ in our definitions of shaky cam. For me, it's handheld which draws attention to itself, which I felt "Black Swan's" did. Compare to Kubrick's handheld work in films like "A Clockwork Orange" which is incredibly smooth for being what it is.

I haven't seen "The King's Speech" and "True Grit" yet, but if Deakins doesn't win this year, I am going to do crazy things. The few short clips I saw of "True Grit" where amazing. Of course Pfister did a great job on "Inception" as well and it probably wouldn't be a surprise if he wins, but I go with Deakins.

Well i havent got to see true grit yet, but im hoping this will finally be Deakins year. He's been overlooked for way to long, i look at all his films and wonder- why the hell doesnt this man have an oscar yet?

Im also a massive Cronenweth fan though, and loved the cinematography in the social network, so im hoping for him or Deakins

Have yet to see the King's Speech but personally, most of the nominees in this category didn't really make my jaw drop purely based on their cinematography. Don't think any massive boundaries were really broken this year. Even though, at times I too felt the handheld (particularly in the opening scene) was a tad too raw, I think The Black Swan will win. And I do think it's deserved, with particular regard to the choreography.

You do realize that a lot of the people voting for this award don't even know what Cinematography is, right? It's given out as a consolation prize these days, as is evidenced by last year's winner, who only lensed 30% of the actual movie. Yes, I am still bitter about this. The only possible movie that would have made me more bitter would be "Toy Story 3" winning the top nod for our craft.

I cant agree more. For me the Academy's best cinematography award has lost legitimacy after 2010. Still I'll have enough interest to google the 2011 winners after. Ha.

Personally I didn't care for the way Black Swan was shot as much as most people I've talked to. I didn't see The Kings Speech yet but out of the other ones I would go for Inception or True Grit. I thought the acting in Social Network was great but the cinematography wasn't breath taking.

...I am a big fan of Wally though, so I hope he wins.