Help. Suggestions for which tripod to purchase.

I've been told the leaders are Manfrotto...Satchler...Miller...O'Connor...Cartoni, but I have burnt myself out trying to compare characteristics/prices of all the above. The tripod will be used for an Arri SR2. My question is...(and it's a 3 part question if you don't mind) 1) which brand? 2) which model of that brand? 3) why did you choose this model/brand? The price I'm shooting for is "middle-of-the-road"....not dirt cheap, nor top of the line. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Eric

• Premium Member

True, they're heads, but for legs themselves, well you nust need to find one which has the right bowel size ans can handle the weight. I have O'Connor 660.. I think, Legs for my 50D head, but in the end, I'll put it wherever I need to put it and it's generally sold with legs attached.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

On the upper end heads and legs are sold separately, and when not in use tend to stay separated because most of the upper end are Mitchell base. An O'Connor 2060 is probably the most common in recent years from my experience. I have one, plus a 2065 they're very similar and the weight capacity is only around 10lbs difference. The 120EX is typically overkill. The 2065 is around $10,500 for the head and set of babies and standards will run you another $3,000 plus another $1,000 for cases.

In the video/eng world Sachtlers are the standard with the Video 18 probably the most common. A complete sachtler 18 runs about $7,000

~Marque

• 2 months later...

I have also been looking at tripods recently. For its price is the Miller Arrow 55 worth a buy?

Matt,

I use the Arrow 55 on a regular basis with Sony 350. I really like miller tripods and heads. I say it is worth the price.