HD for low light

Roman Dukic

Which is the best HD Camcorder ( 1000$ ) for low light use? Please help me. It will be very important for me. I'm a student and I work hard for that (not that you need to pity me, it's just I don't know much about it, and I don't wanna make same foolish choice as I once did) Thanks a lot.

• Premium Member

Which is the best HD Camcorder ( 1000$ ) for low light use? Please help me. It will be very important for me. I'm a student and I work hard for that (not that you need to pity me, it's just I don't know much about it, and I don't wanna make same foolish choice as I once did) Thanks a lot.

I don't know but I'd guess that a DSLR (like the Canon T2i or 7D) shooting HD would be better in low light due to the size of the sensor and photosites, but I actually haven't tested that against any 1/3" consumer camcorders.

I don't know but I'd guess that a DSLR (like the Canon T2i or 7D) shooting HD would be better in low light due to the size of the sensor and photosites, but I actually haven't tested that against any 1/3" consumer camcorders.

I also think the 60D is a good option for its flip out screen, I'm sure the SLRs hold up better than most of the 1/3" cameras around but it'd be an interesting thing to really find out.

I suppose it matters more on the shooting context (how low-light) or how long it's really needed for, because if it's only a day or two worth of shooting low-light it'd be worth considering renting a 1D MKIV, they shoot some great low-light. It's ridiculous compared to all the other SLRs.

A wide aperture lens helps too and no small camcorders on the market provide that at the moment, but you can pick up a cheap 80 dollar 50mm from Canon at about f/1.8, which would help produce some good results. Just stay away from any cheap kit lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends! I would like to suggest to you roman to use Canon HV20 or Canon HV30. Canon XHA1 is have the best quality image in low light but it will be outside the price range so forget about it.Canon HV20 Supports 10X HD quality video zoom and it have 1/2.7" CMOS Sensor for the quality image.

I owned an XH A1 for two years and now own a 7D. My 7D slays the XH A1 in low light, absolutely slays it. Even at 0dB gain on the XH A1, the image was noisy. The 7D is great up to 1250 iso and the noise is less obnoxious-looking. Definitely get a T2i or a 60D. Some 1/4" or 1/3" camcorders may be able to shoot in low light, but the image is terrible, in my opinion.