Handheld and Movement with DSLRs

Andy_Alderslade

Hey everyone,

I'm currently prepping for a shoot where we will be nearly all handheld, some running around streets late at night, and some limited swishing and panning, though not at all Greengrass extreme.

In tests i've observed that these camera's don't appear to be able to handle lots of movement very well, in a handheld tracking shot the backgrounds become almost like jelly and juddery.

The effect is diminished somewhat when there is a humane being in the frame but its still very prevalent.

Obviously one can't rid them selves of the problems of a rolling shutter completely but has anybody observed any camera settings or physical techniques that help with this?

Many thanks,

Andy

A shoulder rig and a bit of practice will make your live a lot easier. I'd invest in one. You'll still get a nice hand held feel, but with a lot more stability.

If you're shooting for any length of time over an hour or so, it would good to make sure you have some counterbalancing. Longer than that, a belt stabilization rod going up to the shoulder rig really can help your arms out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Unfortunately, our magic DSLRs don't cope too well with motion – they're still cameras after all! Handheld shots with lots of jerky moves and shakes will yield a wobbly jellyfish-like footage, even when shot with a wide lens. While rolling shutter due to pans or fast moving objects in the shot can be easily dealt with in post (RollingShutter by The Foundry or even the latest iPhoto), the wobbly-jelly artifacts can effectively ruin your shot.

A few tricks might help:

- Keep your shot as steady as you possibly can

- Use a wide lens

- Featureless backgrounds and moving subjects in the foreground

make the wobbly effect a little less evident

- Correct for rolling shutter in post

- Edit out the worst jellyfish bits

- Have fun! :rolleyes:

I'd be happy to read about more ways to deal with the issue, both in prod and post.

Sid the Sloth

• 3 weeks later...

I've found one of the most useful things to use, when you can't use a lot of gear for whatever reason, is a monopod.

You can still maneuver freely, but it keeps the camera horizontal.

I will use a small barbell weight at the bottom, with a clamp under it to keep it in place.

I've even put a fluid head on one. It really works great.