Large sensors vs Small sensors

Shidan Saberi

I've done research but i can only find info on photography.

Why are large sensors so popular and in demand?

I understand that they have less noise.

Is it just a fact that large sensors are better or is it based on peoples preference. Because for some reason I don't find the footage of most cameras with large sensors all that impressive. I personally find them to be too strong on light colors. They also make everything sort of dreamy looking. Things look as though they have no weight to them.

Have I completely miss understood this whole thing?

Share your views please:)

There is a current fashion for a very shallow depth of field, which is driving interest for ever larger sensors.

One advantage of the large sensor is that each pixel can have a larger light collecting area, so they can be more light sensitive and have low noise. Noise has been one reason why broadcasters have regarded 1/3" sensor cameras as standard definition, rather than HD, although they now accept the Canon XF300 series.

One disadvantage with larger sensors is that the lenses are physically larger, which impacts particularity on zoom lenses. A Super35mm 10 x 1 zoom is not really a problem on a say a drama, but it could create logical problems on a documentary. Also, maintaining focus can be a problem.

2/3" is the standard sensor size for broadcasters and I suspect will remain so for many years. It seems to strike a good balance on a number of factors.

There is a current fashion for a very shallow depth of field, which is driving interest for ever larger sensors.

One advantage of the large sensor is that each pixel can have a larger light collecting area, so they can be more light sensitive and have low noise. Noise has been one reason why broadcasters have regarded 1/3" sensor cameras as standard definition, rather than HD, although they now accept the Canon XF300 series.

One disadvantage with larger sensors is that the lenses are physically larger, which impacts particularity on zoom lenses. A Super35mm 10 x 1 zoom is not really a problem on a say a drama, but it could create logical problems on a documentary. Also, maintaining focus can be a problem.

2/3" is the standard sensor size for broadcasters and I suspect will remain so for many years. It seems to strike a good balance on a number of factors.

Thanks for your reply. It clarified it beautifully for me:)