Lighting a corridor set build - expert advice needed

Hi all,

I’m coming up to a second set build in early March for a short film, and would greatly appreciate your feedback on my lighting strategy for it!

My plan is to have 2 or 3 2K fresnels, bounced off silk coming through the window at the end of the corridor (left end). Along with this I’ll be placing 75W Photocrescenta bulbs in the two sockets, hanging over the set, and then from here I’ll accentuate these practicals with some redheads or fresnels coming over the sides of the set. I may also bounce some light through the smaller windows, which are positioned just above the apartment doors. That’s my basic set-up anyway!

The one question I do have is, because the light coming through the window is supposed to be sunrise/early morning, do I need to gel the tungsten at all? Or can I just leave them as they are if I’m white balancing to them? I’ve been told that a hint of pink can look nice, so I may try that. I know a lot of it is personal preference but if anyone has any experience with this then it would be much appreciated.

Otherwise, just some general feedback would be good. I’m a student filmmaker, so a lot of this is brand new to me really! I've been looking at films such as Old Boy and Seven for this film.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan Flint

corridor1.jpg

corridor2.jpg

corridor3.jpg

I've personally always gelled to eye. As long as you take into consideration other color temperatures and your medium and how it'll react, I think it's okay to sweeten some lights by eye as long as you look at the larger picture. I shot an interior scene with people at a table with a hanging lamp with an incandescent in it. I had light pouring in during a "sunset" take and gelled with a little cto. Don't remember if it was 1/4 or 1/8 but enough to warm that light a little, so it also comes down to the feel you want. If those windows above the apartment are frosted, you can try painting them and introducing new colors and tones into the shot. If the hall is white, you might find all that light washing it out, it would help to perhaps dim some of the lights if this happens and keep a few flags or duve ready. The set looks wonderful, wishing you the best of luck!