In the market for Softlights (boxes)

Hello,

I am looking to expand my film/video equipment and finally deciding to buying some decent lights with softboxes. The use for these light will be very versatile from studio interviews to on location shoots. Defiantly traveling with me. My budget is around $500 and want to find some good deals. I'm also hoping to get two lights.

I've been browsing B&H and found a few good deals. These caught my eye (but not stuck on them):

Interfit StellarTungsten

Smith-Victor 1000W

Interfit Stellar X-1000

Has anyone ever used these kits? Are there any better kits for about the same price range.

Would you recommend 500W or 1000W?

Do you guys know of any other places that sells lights for cheaper?

Oh how chimeras would be nice. (but they're pricey)

Thanks for your help.

• Premium Member

For soft light, I've got to suggest fluorescent. More efficient than most LEDs, smaller when erected, lighter, etc. I suspect you won't get two 1000W tungsten equivalent fluorescents for $500, but you might get one and a half, and that's probably a better investment.

Cool Lights (advertising at right) have some studio 220W fluorescents which they claim are 900W equivalent for US$379. Attractive, in my view, especially as you don't need the lossy softbox to get a soft light. Their expressly portable stuff is a bit spendier.

P

For soft light, I've got to suggest fluorescent. More efficient than most LEDs, smaller when erected, lighter, etc. I suspect you won't get two 1000W tungsten equivalent fluorescents for $500, but you might get one and a half, and that's probably a better investment.

Cool Lights (advertising at right) have some studio 220W fluorescents which they claim are 900W equivalent for US$379. Attractive, in my view, especially as you don't need the lossy softbox to get a soft light. Their expressly portable stuff is a bit spendier.

P

Those COOL LIGHTS are pretty cool :P. I did some more research on them and found mixed reviews.

I guess a major concern is the green spike which I don't see a big deal in. A little CC gel will fix that problem. But what got me is the price, its unbeatable. You obviously won't get the quality of a DEVO or Arri but those are $1000+ not in my budget (for now).

My question apart from the fixtures is, can I mix fluorescents with tungsten lighting? I have a few tweenies and betweenies I'd like to use for a kick or some back/ground light, but how would the camera react to this? Is it it just; add CTB and white balance, and we're ready to shoot? I've never used fluorescents in a production before.

By the way I have a AF100 and XHA1

I really like what I'm seeing here and I'm sure the camera will too.

Anybody use these for an extensive amount of time? How do they hold up after prolong use?