SPLIT FIELD DIOPTER 4 X 4 or 4 X 5.6

Hey Guys

I am going to be shooting a short in the very near future with a set of Zeiss Compact Primes and the Panasonic AF100. One shot in the movie will require a split field diopter.

I've used these before on my old Canon FD mount lenses, but they were threaded circle filters. Since the Compact Primes don't have a thread I have purchased the Oconner WM O-Box with 4 x 4 and 4 x 5.6 trays.

The problem is, I can't seem to find any split field diopters to fit a square filter tray. I've done quite a bit of internet sleuthing and have found nothing but circle filters with threads.

Am I crazy, or are these hard to come by?

I even asked a Zeiss Rep. who didn't have an answer for me (I suppose he wouldn't know what other companies sell anyhow, but I thought I'd give it a shot.)

I was going to call Tiffen or Schneider (I'm assuming both make them) but figured I'd post here first, hoping that I cannot only be reassured of their existence, but also, maybe for some tips?

Any different than using them on those old FDs?

Edited by JosephCampanella

You need 138mm Round Split Diopters, which would fit into the front of the 138mm rubber bellows of your mattebox. If that sounds weird, think of it this way:

Lens-->"Hard donut" that fits the front of your lens, i.e 80mm for Superspeeds-->Rubber bellows w/ 138mm retaining ring*Insert 138mm Round Filter Here*-->Back of mattebox-->Square/Rectangular fiter stages-->Front of mattebox.

Any rental house should have a set, or they can be purchased from either Schneider or Tiffen (although Diopters are very pricey). The advantage to being round, is that it ensures that you can rotate the filter, hiding the "split" in the frame easier.

One word of caution, if you are using the heavier diopters (+2 or +3, split or straight), be very careful when dropping in the rear filter trays. The heavier grade diopters often protrude very far into the back filter stages and get scratched when someone pulls out or drops back in the filter tray.

Hey Guys

I am going to be shooting a short in the very near future with a set of Zeiss Compact Primes and the Panasonic AF100. One shot in the movie will require a split field diopter.

I've used these before on my old Canon FD mount lenses, but they were threaded circle filters. Since the Compact Primes don't have a thread I have purchased the Oconner WM O-Box with 4 x 4 and 4 x 5.6 trays.

The problem is, I can't seem to find any split field diopters to fit a square filter tray. I've done quite a bit of internet sleuthing and have found nothing but circle filters with threads.

Am I crazy, or are these hard to come by?

I even asked a Zeiss Rep. who didn't have an answer for me (I suppose he wouldn't know what other companies sell anyhow, but I thought I'd give it a shot.)

I was going to call Tiffen or Schneider (I'm assuming both make them) but figured I'd post here first, hoping that I cannot only be reassured of their existence, but also, maybe for some tips?

Any different than using them on those old FDs?

Hi. I just registered to ask the same question i already asked on cinema5d.

Hello. 
Does anyone know where i can buy a set of split-field diopter lens filter in the size for my 4x4 or 4x5.6 chrosziel mattebox. I'm very interested in purchasing but all i can find is round split diopters. On the commercial set our focuspuller has a set of old Russian LOMO split diopters made for 6x6 mattebox. But i can't find any unformation regarding this. 
Can anyone help me find out anything, where to buy, who produces now?
Beforehnd thankful, Nikolay.

Hope anyone can share some information with us.