What is the best place to learn 16/35mm cameras?

I am a young camera assistant, I started freelancing as an AC not too long before Red came out. Most of the projects I have worked on have been shot digitally. I understand and am able to carryout the duties of a 1st and 2nd AC but I don't have an in depth knowledge of 16mm and 35mm camera systems that I wish to posses. I've been reading "The Professional Cameraman's Handbook", "The Camera Assistant-A Complete Professional Handbook" and the Arricam book by Jon Fauer but I haven't had much hands on experience with film camera systems. What is the best way of going about getting more hands on experience and understanding of these camera systems in this "digital age" we live in?

I'll be moving to LA in a little over a week, so I've been looking at UCLA's extension program workshop on Arriflex and Panavision Cameras:

https://www.uclaextension.edu/r/Course.aspx?Reg=W2759

Maine Media Workshops also has their camera assistant course which I've heard good things about:

http://www.mainemedia.edu/workshops/filmmaking/film-and-digital-camera-assistant

Any thoughts?

Edited by Salil Sundresh

• Premium Member

It can't hurt to call up some rental houses that deal in film gear and ask if you can come in and familiarise yourself with the equipment.

All the rental houses I've worked for have always been happy to let assistants do that, especially if you've already read all the handbooks. After all, it's in their interests that the people using their gear are familiar with it.

It can't hurt to call up some rental houses that deal in film gear and ask if you can come in and familiarise yourself with the equipment.

All the rental houses I've worked for have always been happy to let assistants do that, especially if you've already read all the handbooks. After all, it's in their interests that the people using their gear are familiar with it.

I absolutely agree with Dom. Plus, if you spend some time there, you get to meet assistants, operators, cinematographers. I know many many people who have expanded their connections network just by working/interning even for a short time at a rental house.

As for the Maine Workshops, I'm quite biased: I took the Camera Assistant workshop (taught by Doug Hart) and the Camera Operator workshop (with Rexford Metz), and I just cannot recommend them both highly enough: fantastic experience, great instructors, beautiful location, and most importantly, you definitely learn A LOT, no matter how much previous experience you have.