Konvas Trouble

Clive Alex

I've just bough a Konvas M2 kit but didn't realize the cameras shutter speeds are regulated by the battery box, odd design? The battery box is the only thing thats pretty worn out and basically dead. Is there anyway around this?

I've just bough a Konvas M2 kit but didn't realize the cameras shutter speeds are regulated by the battery box, odd design? The battery box is the only thing thats pretty worn out and basically dead. Is there anyway around this?

What kinds name of motor print on label ? 15EPSS, 17EP-16 APK, 5 BDS, 18EP-16 APK other.

Can you send me picture of your motor to mu direct email olex.camera@gmail.com and i can help you to run of camera.

What kinds name of motor print on label ? 15EPSS, 17EP-16 APK, 5 BDS, 18EP-16 APK other.

Can you send me picture of your motor to mu direct email olex.camera@gmail.com and i can help you to run of camera.

Hi,

It has 15EPSS motor, I'll try and send some picture tomorrow.

Many thanks

Hi,

It has 15EPSS motor, I'll try and send some picture tomorrow.

Many thanks

15EPSS motor of Konvas-1M/2M camera - multi speed, electrical motor with analog system of speed stabilization.

This is motor included : motor module ( handle with two DC motors , one taxo inside , start-stop switch, power cord), power unit module with battery and electronic module of speed control inside.

You can see many technical information about 15EPSS motor on my site, detailed description and recommendation about upgrade.

15EPSS motor created for silver-zinc cell ( 7.5-8,2 v ).

This is expensive type of battery and do not manufacturing now.

You cab attach of a other cheap batteries and use camera with this motor for real shooting.

DO NOT CONNECT 12 V battery, you can destroy electronic parts after a short time running.

6 v battery can run motor, but, at speeds less of 24 fps with low power reserve.

I recommend, and can upgrade a power unit electronic for 6 v 10 ah battery.

6v 10ah battery can be install inside power unit and motor will work fine after upgrade at all speeds.

I ready to answer on your questions by PM.

Does the Konvas 25M-8M rheostat-based motor require the battery box or can it be connected direct to a battery?

It's connected to a battery (not 12v either tho). However it won't work with a 2m, only the really early Konvai that can be handcranked work with that.

Easiest would be to get a 12volt crystal motor. They can be really hard to find tho. The big problem with Konvai is always the motor/electronics. The cameras themselves are fantastic but the motor situation tends to be painful.

What does the motor interface look like on your 2m motor?

love

Freya

Well the wierd world of the Konvas never ceases to amaze!

I assume you have been looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25M-8M-rheostat-based-motor-Konvas-1M-2M-cameras-/150578545322?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item230f2e42aa

This appears to be an older motor modified to fit the 2m/1m!

Normally the rehostat motor is connected to a large round disc but this looks like it's been altered to slide onto a 1m/2m. The motor coupling looks slightly wrong to my eyes being more like a key like mount than the normal 2 blobs (which I assume is what you have as a motor coupling on your 15epss?), however it may well work! I suspect this is a non official mod unless it was made for a transition period 1m?

I think you would need to find 6volt or 7 volt batteries to power it tho.

Have you seen this thing Olex?!! What do you think? I've never seen anything like it!!

love

Freya

Olex, did you not used to sell an update to the 15epss that was only crystal at one speed but was 12volts and replaced the control unit, or am I making stuff up?

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Well the wierd world of the Konvas never ceases to amaze!

I assume you have been looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25M-8M-rheostat-based-motor-Konvas-1M-2M-cameras-/150578545322?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item230f2e42aa

This appears to be an older motor modified to fit the 2m/1m!

Normally the rehostat motor is connected to a large round disc but this looks like it's been altered to slide onto a 1m/2m. The motor coupling looks slightly wrong to my eyes being more like a key like mount than the normal 2 blobs (which I assume is what you have as a motor coupling on your 15epss?), however it may well work! I suspect this is a non official mod unless it was made for a transition period 1m?

I think you would need to find 6volt or 7 volt batteries to power it tho.

Have you seen this thing Olex?!! What do you think? I've never seen anything like it!!

love

Freya

Hi Freya,

Yes I found the motor you linked, I was considering buying it. The camera is great but the motor is becoming a pain. I'm really wanting to shoot some test film but at the moment it's just sitting there.

Is there anyway of using the motor without the battery box and use something to vary the current to the motor like a lighting dimmer switch?

If you attach lighting dimmer switch, you will have a motor with manual speed control, but, without system of speed stabilization.

At full film roll, you will have one speed, at minimum film roll, you will have other speed.

The difference speed of shooting give you difference density on footage. The takes at full roll will do not compatible ( density) with takes at end of roll.

You lost many money at bad quality of takes.

Do not need contrive a bike.

The modern requests at film making ask of cine cameras with stabilized motors.

====

Question.

=Does the Konvas 25M-8M rheostat-based motor require the battery box or can it be connected direct to a battery?

Answer:

25M-8M Rheostat motor of Konvas - 1, KSR-1, KSR-1M cameras require 6..8v battery with any polarity connected.

Do not need any electronic speed control unit. The speed of motor can be adjust by change a position of rheostat.

From other side, Konvas-1 camera have mechanical device of speed control.

Question :

= However it won't work with a 2m, only the really early Konvai that can be handcranked work with that.

=Easiest would be to get a 12volt crystal motor. They can be really hard to find tho.

= The big problem with Konvai is always the motor/electronics. The cameras themselves are fantastic

= but the motor situation tends to be painful.

Will need divide Konvas-1 ( KSR-1 KSR-1M ) cameras and Konvas-1M/2M cameras.

This is cameras with two difference type of claw mechanism and difference style of motor couples.

That's why, the motors of Konvas-1 do not compatiblme ( without upgrade ) with Konvas-1M/2M cameras and electrical motors

with analog or crystal sync speed stabilization do not compatible with Konvas-1 cameras without upgrade too.

As for me, Konvas cameras have very good electrical motors with analog stabilization (15EPSS) and crystal sync speed ( 17EP-16 APK, 18EP-16 APK, 19EP-16 APK, 5BDS ).

Need preparation for use a camera technician only.

Question:

25M-8M motor

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item230f2e42aa

Answer:

This is hand made upgraded 25M-8M motor for attach to Konvas-1M/2M camera.

But, this is rheostat control motor without any system of automatical speed stabilization.

Konvas-1M/2M cameras have many original motors with speed stabilization.

You need outmoded facilities ?

The main merit of this motor- absence any electronic devices.

From tehcnical side, motor mount do not correct and do not have special jam slides.

As for me, prefer to use original motors of Konvas-1M/2M.

Olex, did you not used to sell an update to the 15epss that was only crystal at one speed but was 12volts and replaced the control unit, or am I making stuff up?

love

Freya

I had project to upgrade of 15EPSS motor to crystal sync speed version. We had two crystal sync speed version and multi crystal speed version.

But, all this versions of 15EPSS motor ask of 24 v battery.

From other side, this is complex upgrade to ask of additional devices ( optical feed back sensor) and do not cheap.

As of my opinion, if you have 15EPSS motor, this is motor need upgrade to 6 v battery version and use with original analog system of speed stabilization.

The original analog speed stabilization have good value of speed control +/- 2,5 % at speed 24 fps.

If you need crystal sync speed, i recommed to change motor on 17EP-16 APK, 19EP-16 APK with 12 v battery.

Question:

=Yes I found the motor you linked, I was considering buying it. The camera is great but the motor is becoming a pain.

= I'm really wanting to shoot some test film but at the moment it's just sitting there.

Answer:

As for my opinion, this is do not best decision.

25M-8M motor will run, but, with manual speed setting and without any speed stabilization.

You will have "headache" with speed adjusting.

Konvas-1M/2M cameras do not have mechanical speed control device - main device of speed stabilization system with 25M-8M motor.

I prefer : repair and upgrade of original power unit of 15EPSS motor.

If you do not have orignal power unit of 15EPSS motor, to buy power unit separately. This is possible.

or

to buy Konvas motor with crystal sync speed ( 17EP-16 APK, 19EP-16 APK .

Any case, you can choose of a any decision.

Eureka! I took the battery box apart and did some soldering (some of the connections were broke) and now it works, just need a battery now. I see 12v battery shouldn't be used so I'll get a 6v insted any idea of how many amps?

Someone has offered me a 17EP-16APK motor, can I remove the xlr plug and connect this motor direct to a 12v battery?

17EP-16 APk motor of Konvas-1M/2M camera - crystal sync speed motor compatible with 12 v batteries with speeds up to 32 fps and 18 v battery with speeds up to 60 fps ( upgraded version ).

The original battery socket have 4 pin style ( two pins (+) and two pins (-)).

The original version of 17EP-16 APK motor electronic do not have free surface inside for installation of 4 pin XLR socket.

You can build of special power cord with orignal ( russian ) plug from one side ( motor side ) and 4 pin XLR plug from other side.

BUT, YOU MUST BE CAUTIOUS WITH POLARITY OF BATTERY.

If you connect battery with reversal polarity, the electronic will burn down.

If you do not know, what need connect batetry, ask me.

The 4 pin XLR socket can be install to original version of 17EP-16 APK motor by special body adapter.

The upgraded version of modern crystal sync speed micropocessor controller have small size and 4 pin XLR socket can be install to body without any additinal parts.

About power unit of 15EPSS motor.

Yes, You need 6 v 10 ah SLA battery.

This is battery install inside power unit easy.

But, I must underline, 6 v battery with original version of 15EPSS power unit electronic give you speed up to 16 fps with good stabilization and 24 fps with very small spare power for stabilization.

That's why, i propose of upgrade of original electronic of 15EPSS motor and motor will have all speeds , up to 32 fps, with high power stabilization.

• 3 weeks later...