How to Rate ISO on Incident Light Meter for Canon 5D MK II

Nishant Gala

HI, i would be shooting on Canon 5D MK II, for an ad film... and i would be lighting it with tungsten source, if i am using my incident light meter for my lighting ratio... whats the ISO Sensitivity i should keep it on my Light Meter and what ISO rating should i keep it on Camera while shooting Video. how do i rate? can anyone tell me?

e.g - if i keep ISO on camera at 400ASA then to get my lighting ratio whats the ISO Sensitivity i should keep it on Light meter? or if its 100 ASA on camera then what should i keep it on light meter?

• Premium Member

Match meter to camera. I'd shoot a grey-card and meter it at, say 640ASA, or what-have-you and expose it "properly" on the 5D, this should let you know if you need to adjust your ASA on the meter a bit to get them to agree on middle grey.

Thanks Adrian... for your information so u telling i should keep the incident on 640ASA and the ON camera ISO to be 100 ASA?

but would every camera differ in its sensitivity... have anybody rated the camera Sensitivity?

• Premium Member

You mis-undestand. You would rate the meter and the camera the same for the test, so for example, both at 640. Then, if there is any devation as to the F stop the meter tells you and the F stop the camera tells you a 18% grey card should be exposed for then you would adjust your meter accordingly. You should "pick" your asa on the camera as you do a film stock, with attention to highlight and lowlight clip points as well as noise present in the image, then shoot a test with your meter set to whatever ASA you have your camera set for, filming an 18% middle gray card with both the camera, and spotting it with a meter. If the camera is, say, F4 and the meter reads a F5.6 you'd want to drop your meter down to 320 to get them to agree. Does that make sense?

Thanks Adrian, that makes perfect sense to me..... and i am crystal Clear... thanks for your advice. I appreciate your time and effort to explain my query. Thanks for your patience tooo.... have a great day.