LA v.s. NYC

Sam Koopman

Hi I'm a young film student and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the difference (if any) between the industry in New York versus Los Angeles for a anyone wanting to work their way up as a DoP or cinematographer in the camera department.

I hear New York is a much more independent-art house scene instead the big guns that run LA. Is that true? Is it easier to make and profit off of your own films in New York than in LA? Or more opportunities for gigs in the camera dept?

Just curious if anyone had some knowledge on the topic.

thanks.

-Sam

If you're Canadian how do you plan to work in the USA anyway?

There is no US work permit that I am aware of that would allow you work in the US as a free lance film worker, which is what you'd be. If there was there would be a stampede of Canadians to LA.

There is an O1, but that is for upper level professionals with proven track records and a job opportunity in the US. It's very difficult to meet that criteria.

R,

You're in Vancouver. There's a lot of production right there. Don't waste your money moving, get in the game where you are.

-- J.S.

If you're Canadian how do you plan to work in the USA anyway?

There is no US work permit that I am aware of that would allow you work in the US as a free lance film worker, which is what you'd be. If there was there would be a stampede of Canadians to LA.

There is an O1, but that is for upper level professionals with proven track records and a job opportunity in the US. It's very difficult to meet that criteria.

R,

Wasn't planning on heading there anytime soon, fully aware that getting there would be just about impossible.

Was just curious as to how different the markets are, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

You are right about NYC vs LA. LA is all about the studios. It's very difficult to do independent work. NYC may be similar. It might even be better to check out Chicago, Austin, Albuquerque, etc. Those places are boom towns now for indie filmmakers. You might want to try doing grad school, will give you an opportunity to find a job and then you can stay.

• 6 months later...