Frozen 3d effect

Hi

Saw Source Code today and there was a shot near the end that had me scratching my head. Similar to the 3d frozen in time effect seen in Matrix and dozens of other commercials and films since then, but this was different in that the motion wasn't circular, but in a straight line like a standard steadicam shot. Perspective was changing but and people in the shot were perfectly frozen. Was this done in the same way (ie dozens of still cameras all lined up with a single shot taken from each camera)? Anyone know the answer?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't tried it for myself yet, but from what the research I've done on this kind of shot is that it's done on a single steadicam with the actors holding perfectly still, with movements corrected in post. I think that at the end of the shot you're talking about, as the camera passes over the comedian's hand you can see it move a little bit. In the short film Carousel (that may or may not be the correct spelling), they had actors suspended by wires to help them hold their positions. Elements such as spilling drinks are added in post.