China Ball

Scott Imler

Hi guys I often like the soft look that a china ball gives for certain situations. As you know the spill can be a problem. I usually have some small squares of black "duvi" that I attach to the ball where I want to eliminate spill. Its effective but a bit Mickey Mouse, anybody else come up with anything other than flags on stands etc.To control spill from china balls.Also has anyone played with dyeing the ball to warm or cool them.? Interested in any tips or ideas from those who have lit with them

• Premium Member

This why I'm not a big fan of china balls. They're great when you need a really lightweight soft source that throws light everywhere, but as soon as you start trying to modify it the whole thing self-destructs.

This gives me the idea to build a hand-held softbox out of a typical socket and showcard, something with the diffusion deep inside so that you can aim some soft fill exactly where you want it (like on a face), and not where you don't.

I saw a rather elegant solution to using china balls as toplight once. The grips simply rigged empty 4x4' frames horizontally above the set, and strung the china ball into the center of the frame. They then hung duvetyn skirts from the frames, making a nice soft box that controlled the spill.

I always make my own version of the lantern lock idea out of a ceramic socket, threaded lamp rod and an aluminum cross piece. It holds the lantern fairly stiff. I have a couple that I spray painted half or 3/4 of the ball black. That kinda controls spill from the back of the ball. More often than not though I find it sufficient to just flag it with acouple of 2x3's. Or a floppy top and side.

I always make my own version of the lantern lock idea out of a ceramic socket, threaded lamp rod and an aluminum cross piece.

I do the same and use small carabineers to hook them to the cross piece. It makes a very rigid china ball. I?ve wondered if a hula hoop might be a fun way to hang duvetyn away from the china ball.

• Premium Member

I own some square china "balls" that are excellent for controlling spill - I have 12"x12" and 24"x24" units with strips of duvetyn attached to each side - when I need to control the light, I jsut unclip a side and down it comes without swaying the unit to one side or the other. Any city with a "china town" should have them (I've found them in Chicago, LA, and New York). Target carries some 12" units as well I think.........

• Premium Member

When I wanted the effect of a space light, but weight was an issue, I just took the black skirt off a 2k space light. The China ball was a little smaller, it held perfectly in the skirt.

This creates soft top light, but if you just want to cut the back, the above suggestions are things I have done.

Kevin Zanit

• 2 weeks later...

Chimera and Photoflex both make something that might be just what you want.

Photoflex calls their product the WhiteDome:

http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.h...uct=whitedome&1

It is essentially a softbox with translucency on the sides as well and duve skirts to modify the spill. These are great for hanging over table-top scenes and can be attached, ridgedly to a lightsource via the speedring. They may be lit with standard cine instruments as well as Photoflex's "starlight" series of luminaires.

In a pinch, add all four skirts and create a softbox as well.

Michael

Edited by mmorlan62

Gyoury had some pseudo China ball kits with (hopefully!) color-corrected fluoros... we looked at them at B&H photo for a job once; seemed interesting although ended up just taking a cab down to Chinatown...

-Sam