Fifteen years old and interested in a carreer in film.... Any advice?

[/size][/color]

Yes. Exactly. Here's the thing.

We don't have a film industry

I'm going to say that again, using slightly bigger type, just so it's completely clear:

We don't have a film industry

The idea that the UK has a worthwhile operating film industry is a fashionable fiction generated by people desperate to seem important. We don't have an industry because we don't have people going to see films where the profits are ploughed back into production. Look up what's on at your local cinema. If there's more than one film on at the moment which is not American, I will be very surprised. I wouldn't be that shocked to find that every single film being shown there, and every film that has been shown in the previous few weeks, was American.

We do not have a film industry. We have a few music videos and we very occaisonally service productions for the Americans.

I've mentioned this before, but the story goes thus: When J.K. Rowling was being chased for the movie options to Harry Potter, she looked around the UK for an indigenous production company that was capable of doing the show justice. Clearly it's an effects-heavy film, clearly it's a big deal, clearly it needed a decent budget. So, they looked around for a production company capable of doing it, and there wasn't one.

I should emphasise that this doesn't mean there wasn't one that could pay J. K. the money she was after, or there wasn't one willing to do it in a certain way: there just quite simply wasn't a UK production company capable of making Harry Potter in the way Warner eventually made it. The London industry was so parochial, so utterly pathetic and hopeless, so dependent on government handouts and self-congratulation, that it simply was not capable of putting up a decent showing when it came time to negotiate. This is one reason why many crew members hate producers, especially in the UK: they're often barely capable of doing their own jobs unless (what was) the UK Film Council is holding their hands.

The result is that we have a British author writing a series of fantastically successful novels, which are made into fantastically successful films by largely British crews in British sound stages, with British actors and British effects and postproduction people, and all the money goes straight to LA.

This is one really rather minor example of why we don't have a film industry. One James Bond film every few years and the occasional scraps the Americans throw us does not equal an industry. Sorry. It sucks. But, and this is important, it's the truth.

P

I know the UK doesn't have a film industry... Only 3% of films shown in the UK are British.

What I meant by "we" is if no one ever tryed to get a career in the film industry would the world (we) ever have a film industry?... The answer is no. Any place that has a film industry is made up of people who want to work in film. Surely if everyone gave up just because they knew it was going to be competitive these industries wouldn't exist?

Hey, my name Is Joe I'm fifteen years old and interested in a carreer in film. I really love film and want to learn to make,edit,direct films. Im currently taking GCSE's but would like to know what is the best route to become a cinematographer/directer? Any advice would be really appreciated. Oh and I've never worked with actualy film before only digital so if someone could give me an insight to the different formats and why we still need them if we have digital (Silly question but I don't know. Also, the benefits of different formats.

I'm also a highschooler, and, since I'm still a junior and haven't yet succeeded, can't tell you what I did. But I recommend reading everything you can about cinematography, focal length, angles, filmstock, exposure, etc. Buying an 8 or 16mm bolex, (I got a 16, but it's putting quite a toll on my wallet) practice a few rolls until you get exposure right. Come up with a few simple, original scripts (that, in the bolex's case, don't have any dialogue that's not a voiceover), and shoot it with your bolex. Submit it to various film festivals that have awards for student-made shorts, and that'll be a good credential to show to any film school in america like Tisch, USC, FSU, etc, which would give you access to people who could help you achieve your goals. But don't relax and assume that you'll learn at film school. I've taken a film course after reading extensively on various topics and they breezed over it so lightly that no one in the room got it except me. Read, Read, Read. Shoot, Shoot, Shoot. And watch tons of classic films, learn from those. Another thing you should do is take summer courses after your sophomore and junior year. I took a film course last summer at UM, and am taking one this summer at the New York Film Academy.

The lab I use and love is Cinelab in Massachusetts, but since you're in the UK you might not want to ship it that far and need to find a more local one. Make sure they will prorate telecine services since you're in highschool, because that effectively determines whether or not you will be able to afford it. You are going to need to extensively research costs of the film, processing, telecining, and prints (if you need prints for whatever reason). If you can afford it, go with 16mm. If not, there's always 8mm.

I never know what to tell teenagers that ask me about a potential career in film. I don't want to be too negative, but I also don't want them to think that a successful career in film will in anyway be easy.

I have officially "banned" both of my sons from entering the industry, lucky for me neither shows any interest. I hope they'll go into decent careers that can provide a good monthly income, film can never do that. I have a good friend who has directed TWO(2) feature films, both in widespread distribution, and he's packing ice cream at a factory right now.

Many of my other film friends are in their late 20s and early 30s, renting, no car, not married, no kids, etc etc. Other people in "real jobs" seem to pass them by, with their real lives, houses, cars, families, etc.

This is the reality 15 year olds need to hear about.

On a side note part of the issue is that film schools teach little to nothing about producing, so you end up with a lot of guys that can run cameras and say action and cut just fine. But no one has a clue where to get the money or distribution for a feature film.

It's producers that make movies, the other crew members are a dime a dozen. Yes, let the flaming begin, but it is the reality of the film business. If you learn how to be a producer you can write your own ticket in this industry, if you want to direct the movie....then fine do it, as the producer no one can stop you.

Oh one point about Phil's comments and the UK. I'm sure it's all true of course, but, there are people having film careers in Third World Countries! And the UK has not yet achieved the status of Third World Country, maybe in 10-15 years? :)

Of course in the Third World they speak a dialect that Hollywood has no interest in translating their movies into. So local producers do not have the Hollywood machine to compete with. The same Hollywood machine that has completely knocked out all film industries in every English speaking territory.

R,

Hey, my name Is Joe I'm fifteen years old and interested in a carreer in film. I really love film and want to learn to make,edit,direct films. Im currently taking GCSE's but would like to know what is the best route to become a cinematographer/directer? Any advice would be really appreciated. Oh and I've never worked with actualy film before only digital so if someone could give me an insight to the different formats and why we still need them if we have digital (Silly question but I don't know. Also, the benefits of different formats.

Thank you for your time

Joe

Joe, as others have said, it takes lot's of practise, but you could also read some tips given here: http://www.askthecameraman.net/Practical/The_7_Steps_To_Becoming_A_Professional_Cameraman/

I have a good friend who has directed TWO(2) feature films, both in widespread distribution, and he's packing ice cream at a factory right now.

R,

Wait a minute, YOU'VE directed 2 feature films with widespread distribution. Is your friend really you? Listen, there's no shame in working at an ice cream factory so you shouldn't be down on yourself and since I'm trying to get a feature going, in case I succeed, would you know off hand if Ben and Jerry's has a dental plan? :rolleyes:

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Wait a minute, YOU'VE directed 2 feature films with widespread distribution. Is your friend really you? Listen, there's no shame in working at an ice cream factory so you shouldn't be down on yourself and since I'm trying to get a feature going, in case I succeed, would you know off hand if Ben and Jerry's has a dental plan? :rolleyes:

HA! HA! So you're a comedy writer now as well I see. :)

R,

HA! HA! So you're a comedy writer now as well I see. :)

R,

With all due modesty, some of my best work is comedy, comedy and horror which are kinda the same thing. :D One of these days I want try my hand at an old fashioned Noir, updated for a modern audience. I'm a huge fan of Brick which throws the whole genre sideways but retains all the elements of a great Noir, yes a Noir, a teen film and a mystery, sheer genius. I love venturing out of my comfort zone with my writing. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the Hollywood model will be lasting much longer, sure it could be a viable option for a career in film now (if one can surpass the low levels of income and ridiculously minor jobs), but in ten or twenty years time that probably won't even be the case. You can consider the steady decline in material over the last ten or so years, even looking at the top grossing box office films being sequels or comic book films, you can start to think where's the originality and ideas going to come from? There is even the increasing amount of remakes being churned out by the number that is a warning sign to us that originality is becoming scarce. This isn't even touching the facts of the US economic crisis. If I were to say China could be the next big ticket to making money in film, I could be right.

But who's to say British filmmakers such as Christopher Nolan, Sam Mendes or Danny Boyle won't pack up shop and head home to reinvent the industry? Or who of us is to say Joe can't be the next Peter Jackson for Britain? I know for a fact that many of the Aussie filmmakers in the boom of the 80s and early 90s are bringing work back at the moment with the film industry down here. Large scale productions are starting to emerge even with the dollar where it is and incentives are coming in to attract these large scale productions.

In my personal opinion, the worst thing for the film industry is an influx of producers that do not allow the creative freedom with directors. I saw this documentary about Stephan Elliot about two weeks ago that was a great insight into the makings of a film he did with Ewan McGregor called Eye of the Beholder, the doco is called Killing Priscilla. Following the film he quit the film industry to only return in the last few years, but his entire career and story is very fascinating. I urge you all to seek out and watch it because it is a thorough insight into making a fairly low budget movie, after both an enormous commercial success, and then straight after a box office disaster.

At the end of the day if there is no film industry in Britain, there is still an industry of media that I think no matter where you are, it can provide a comfortable lifestyle, or hell if things get tough you can just start working in news and sports, or even just shoot weddings for cash. Working in these things won't get you further away from filmmaking, David Yates himself was doing TV dramas not long ago, now he's doing Harry Potter.

My only advice is to make sure you have the personality of a director, if that is the career path you are going for. There's no sense in being a director that cannot handle a film set on a grand scale. The only way to know for sure is to take out as many free volunteers, a plentiful amount of gear, some free actors and shoot something. If you can turn out with something decent and/or weave your way into lucky social situations where you can meet the right people, you might have a shot at making films.

Edited by Marcus Joseph

Sydney Australia, it is not exactly the best place to be in regards to filmmaking. I don't know whether or not I'll head off to another place to work in a few years, perhaps America, but I'll just see how things go. There are some big productions happening that I'm trying to get in on, but I am unsure whether or not they will keep happening. Only time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

At your 'stage' i would recommend shooting your own stuff and shoot stills photography. Start from basics- imagery. Take stills and compare with 'Professional' photography. Learn about a camera- digital or film- four things in ALL cameras- aperture, focal length, ISO/ASA, Shutter speed and how they relate to image you create.

Next stage is to try get on a film set no matter how small as a runner ( be humble, be helpful, be proactive) and then try chat to the camera department- learn how a film set works (set etiquette- what they don't teach you in film school yet the most important thing you have to learn). Remember- at the end of the day- it is WORK.

If you want to apply to film school- go to the best ones (NFT)- but this is more for contacts than anything else. If you don't, work on set for 2 years- this can be film school you never had and real life work.

It is a very very difficult industry to break into (you will be poor a lot of the time) but not not worth doing if you really want to. But you have to really want to. It really is who you know- although you obviously have to have the goods to back it up.

Don't worry, you have lots of time ahead of you. Director or Cinematographer- must keep shooting and producing work! And observe the everyday and travel- nothing will inform you more about image, culture, movement and life.

JC