Advertising and Commercial Film Production

Ok, so I've had heaps of advice given to me from this forum so thank you to everyone that has given me an insight into a career in film. I am interested in films and movie production however Advertisements/commercial film production interests me more than Hollywood movie production. Obviously this area will still be competitive but am I more likely to create an income entering this area of film?

Any advice on this subject or additional advice is appreciated, thanks.

Joe

Advertisements and commercials draw thousands to those creating them. You'll need to find a company that receives many "bids" from clients. These will be marketing division representatives who contract projects for the exhibition of their product/service.

As for "Hollywood" productions, you might want to refine this endeavor. Is it narrative filmmaking you desire? Non-independent productions require a high tolerance for bureaucracy, at least from my personal observations.

Consider entering into a film school or media studies program. What position interests you most?

If you still remain dubious about the future of your filmmaking career, solicit your assistance to film students. They might allow you to help on their set in a creative or non-creative position. Float around in a variety of these "smaller" positions until you've found the area which sounds best.

Then pursue. And don't give up.

Advertisements and commercials draw thousands to those creating them. You'll need to find a company that receives many "bids" from clients. These will be marketing division representatives who contract projects for the exhibition of their product/service.

As for "Hollywood" productions, you might want to refine this endeavor. Is it narrative filmmaking you desire? Non-independent productions require a high tolerance for bureaucracy, at least from my personal observations.

Consider entering into a film school or media studies program. What position interests you most?

If you still remain dubious about the future of your filmmaking career, solicit your assistance to film students. They might allow you to help on their set in a creative or non-creative position. Float around in a variety of these "smaller" positions until you've found the area which sounds best.

Then pursue. And don't give up.

At the moment the position of DP interests me the most. I also like the editting of films - The whole process interests me really. I'm very much interested in advertising so If i were to film I think I would enjoy being a dp shooting an advertising commercial.