Lighting for a dream sequence

Dear fellow Cinematographers

I was just wondering how you guys approach lighting for a dream sequence?

I have a shoot coming up with a nightmare scene where a guy dreams that his admired girl sleeps with his best friend and they eat him in the end.

I was thinking getting some smoke(of course) in, a lot of different colors, wierd camera angles and movements. Or maybe instead of different colors just keep it very dark and mysterious, just highlight what's important.

Do you guys have any specific tips of how to light for a scene like that?

I apreciate your help

D.D.

• Premium Member

I think the right question to ask is how would the character themself dream. Are they into fantasy, are they more logical, realistic. How do you dream? I personally think the whole crazy color ect is a bit over-played, though I jsut recently did a crazy color dream sequence. Another one I did was with something a kin to a lens baby, changing perspectives ect. Maybe could be interesting, to use light in the way you'd rack focus. But, in the end, how does this person in this script dream?

good points Adrian.

Because the whole feel of the movie is a mix of comedy and a little horror I will try to get a more darker, scary dream sequence. After thinking about it the color would not be a good fit because he just found out that his hot neighbor is eating people and now he is dealing with that new fact in his dream.

Und Alex haha a dwarf à la Living Oblivion;) Ich wünschte mein director hätte an das gedacht.

Edited by Daniel Delarusa