Critique my reel please

I loved the Wide shot of the city with the lens flare, That shot also shows the contrast that film gives that is amazing!

Do not be afraid to give have a more drastic contrast ratio. I loved the shots that had contrast in it and wasnt flat. You had many things which had flat lighting, but it could have gone with the story.

Pretty good and I always love watching 16mm films.

You have some good work. I liked the black and white at the beginning and especially the work at the end with the kid and the piano.

I wasn't such a fan of the stuff in the middle with the slow mo walking, tub, mirror guy. The blood looked fake and kinda distracted me.

But to generally improve the reel presentation, I'd pick a new song. Something more upbeat less atmospheric. That's my opinion.

Biggest and easiest improvement, don't repeat shots. Demo reels are about evaluating work. I see a shot, and make an instant decision about the lighting and camera work. Next shot appears, the same fast decision. Next shot, again, decision. But when a shot comes up that I've already seen, it takes me out of your reel.

This is my thought process "Good…good…great…good…already seen it…ok…already seen it…" Try to make it so everything is fresh and new.

Hope that helps.

I've been in the film/video field now going on 15 yrs, been a fulltime DP for 5 yrs.

First impression is it looks like a student film demo...if this is, keep in mind;

1) Make your demo shorter, about 2min's, Directors/Producers want to see your skills, but will get bored after about :30.....I've struggled with this myself, but you have to be objective with your work, view your reel as a Director of Producer would, keep it short...

2) I liked both b/w and color, but use your tripod MORE, highlight more smooth shots

3) Learn from the greats, watch movies from DP's you admire...I admire the following

- Geoffrey Unsworth (2001: A Space Odyssey to Superman: The Movie)

- Dean Semler (Dances with Wolves)

- Roger Deakins (Shawshank Redemption)

- Jack Green (Unforgiven)

- Robert Richardson (JFK)

- Caleb Deschanel (Patriot to Passion of the Christ)

- Vittoria Storaro (Apocalypse Now to The Last Emperor)

Watch and learn from the greats, study the composition, color, shot sequences, etc....

Thanks. All is very helpful. I know i did take some chances with this reel, especially with the music choice, specific shots, and the length. This is actually a student reel but I will take these critiques and improve it. Keep em coming.