First Paid Job! Few (student) questions!

Aaron K

Hey all,

I'm an NYU film student and I'm getting my first paid gig to do creative work for a restaurant in CT with my Canon 7D. I was wondering if you had any tips/tricks/advice for shooting a restaurant piece. My plan was as follows:

Shots of food with a 50 at between a 2.8 and 4. I just got the Technicolor profile so I'm probably going to use that, although I need to figure that stuff out more.

Shots of the restaurant full of people.

Shots of wine being poured into a glass.

Does anyone have any advice in terms of lighting food? I would like to get the steam coming off hot pizzas and meals, so for that I was just going to throw a light behind it to illuminate the smoke, but other than that? This is done on a shoestring budget, FYI. I've worked on countless shoots thru NYU but, ironically, I feel confident lighting people but not food.

Does anyone have any cool websites/commercials they've done? Its a local restaurant so I'm not looking for Burger King style stuff, but more personal ads.

So yeah, that's about it! Any advice/comments/whatnot are greatly appreciated!

Aaron

Aaron,

If you are shooting food on a grill bring a spray bottle full of lighter fluid. Gives you a nice fire effect.

For food I would shoot on a 5.6 because you do not want a that shallow depth of field.

With shooting everything look into maybe doing everything a 60fps as for commercials it looks more nature and attractive. Along with alot of dolly moves. Slider prefer for space reasons

Here is a spot I was a camera operator on http://vimeo.com/17031757