How to light a Night- Bathroom scene?

Hello!

I am soon going to shoot my first short project for my CV. It's a 30-60 second lactose intolerant commercial.

The story takes place inside a bathroom. A woman lays inside an old tub filled with milk. There will be a wide angle and few close-ups.

Shooting on Canon 5D.

Im having a bit of hard time deciding on how to light this scene.

The bathroom does not have windows. It's night time. Plan on lighting it soft with subdued muted tones.

How can I light to create that mood? What could be the motivating source?

China ball hanging out of the frame? Boost practicals with photofloods?

What would be the advantage and disadvantage of using a tungsten Kinoflo, fresnels or chimera...?

Any advice and help would be very much appreciated :)

Thank you!

Bathrooms normally have one motivated source- day through window or night fluorescent or other. Bathrooms are usually small so wouldn't recommend a Fresnal as it can get very hot in there- but it can be done. A small Kino with diff on a polecat would do it. And some blackwrap to control spill. A chimera would take a lot of room. I would try to keep it simple. Hope this helps.

JC

• 1 month later...

I'm going to assume you are in a small bathroom, and on a budget (both time and money).

I'd either hang something directly overhead, and use bounce cards for fill where you need it, or I'd aim a PAR light at the ceiling from the floor (put a large chunk of foamcore on the ceiling to make sure it bounces white light).

Either way, as stated above, use some black-foil to control spill. I'd keep some of your top-light off the walls with the black foil - you will probably get as much as you need coming off the bounce-fill.

Matt Pacini