Noise in the High-end

Andy_Alderslade

Not sure if this has been discussed here before but this is a question which i've been pondering for a while now.

I watch a lot of super 16mm rushes, usually in SD for the rushes stage and occasionally you see a hot sky or window that is perhaps too hot, and there is always a considerable amount of noise in the hot areas. I remember seeing this in super 16 TV shows like The OC, and I was wondering is this film grain or noise from the telecine?

If anyone can shed some light on that would be great.

Thanks,

Andy

• Premium Member

I think it may be from some older Cintel machines that aren't properly maintained or operated. I haven't seen that for a few years but whenever I did it was usually from a transfer done at the lab and done quickly on older machines. Sometimes on highlights they would even go green or something in addition to noise but that was rare.

If you're actually seeing it on broadcast TV it could be an attempt to ad grain for some reason... I doubt it was a mistake if it made it to broadcast regularly.

Also, I think "Noise in the High-end" would make a good Christian rock band name. Not that I would know about that.

• Premium Member

I think it may be from some older Cintel machines that aren't properly maintained or operated.

Agreed. To my eye Cintel Millennium/C-Reality transfers always seem buzzy in the highlights. More than film grain... like digital noise. Not sure if it's the tube light source or the optics. Andy... do you know what kind of machine was used for the telecine?

-Paul

Agreed. To my eye Cintel Millennium/C-Reality transfers always seem buzzy in the highlights. More than film grain... like digital noise. Not sure if it's the tube light source or the optics. Andy... do you know what kind of machine was used for the telecine?

-Paul

Thanks Will and Paul for your insight.

Yes I believe the lab are using older SD Ursa Diamonds which is what we see all a rushes from. This fits with why the OC which is worryingly over 10 years old now, and I haven't seen in recent 16mm shows, not that there are many left. Interestingly I've actually seen a green tinge in hot windows too.

The lab argues that Ursa Diamonds are great for the rushes stage as shows up all defects in the negative more.

Ha, I could see Noise in the High End as any kind of rock band, band names are so ridiculous these days!

Cheers, Andy