Super 8 Proccessing & Telecine UK

Duncan Trevithick

doesn't Stanley Productions have (or work with)a lab in Surbiton?!?

They've processed a fair bit of 16mm neg for me with no problems and unlike most other labs in that neighbourhood they don't have a minimum order.

They also offer HD telecine but I don't know what system they use, although, I don't think it's anything too improvised/DIY as I know they've done transfers for Getty Images in the past.

Quite why it takes 2 weeks just to send a film to Germany is quite beyond me :huh:

I remember about 6 or 7 years ago Pro8 used to have an office right behind the Astoria on Charring Cross Road. You could drop yr film to them at the start of the week; they'd send it to their lab all the way out in California and you would get it back in under 4 days!!!!!

Bloody fast if you ask me! cheap as well!!! I'd always heard stories about them being cowboys and screwing up peoples films but I never had any problems and always found them to be really friendly and easy going; especially when compared with other London based labs I'd deal with <_<

Looks like it. They're just marking up about 20%.

No way is a UK lab going to take '12-18 days'.

They're amalgamating orders to get the bulk discount for themselves.

So what? Should others work for nothing and still be glad to help you?

Thanks to Blue Ciné Tech you have a drop off point in UK, London and local shipping. The return times are likely worst case estimates.

You should be glad to have a stock keeping retailer at hand :)

Let us call your bluff and see you try sending in the film yourself and see what you actually spend and how long it takes?

Edited by Andries Molenaar

The return times are likely worst case estimates.

I'm afraid not! The Widescreen Centre has the same type of set up (sending film from the UK to Andec) and that always takes at least two weeks!

Seriously, the next time anyone in London has some film to process give Stanley Productions a shot, I'd be really interested in hearing other peoples experiences with them. It's relativity cheap, the film doesn't leave London and, as far as I know, they've got a pretty good reputation!

...Let us call your bluff and see you try sending in the film yourself and see what you actually spend and how long it takes?

It is three or four years ago, but I have sent film over to Andec directly myself. In my case it was Std-8 to be reversal processed. If I remember rightly from posting it in the Uk through to receiving it back was about a week - but you have to bear in mind their processing deadlines: To arrive with them by 5pm on a Wednesday, as they only process B&W reversal once a week on a Thursday! Obviously if you miss that cut off then it will take an extra week before getting it back. I think Andec process colour film more often than once a week.

On a seperate occasion I bought some Super-8 B&W film from one of the retailers in the Uk together with an Andec 'processing voucher' as a package deal. I forget how pricing compared to paying Andec directly, but it's just as easy to post a film+voucher to Germany as it is to post it back to the retailer in the Uk, who then forwards it to Germany.

I realise some people really don't like posting or ordering things outside the UK, for them having a retailer prepared to forward film on their behalf is probably a great service. :)

Seriously, the next time anyone in London has some film to process give Stanley Productions a shot, I'd be really interested in hearing other peoples experiences with them. It's relativity cheap, the film doesn't leave London and, as far as I know, they've got a pretty good reputation!

So far as I'm aware, Deluxe Soho are effectively the only lab in the UK to offer super-8 ECNII processing. I understand "Film & Photo" do advertise super-8 ECNII processing, but at £30 per cartridge and I think they have a pretty enourmous minimum order quantity too! (hence why I say Deluxe are 'effectively' the only lab!!). If Stanley Productions are getting Super-8 ECNII processed in the UK, then all I can assume is they are forwarding it to Deluxe. A couple of years ago I did know who was doing the telecine transfers for Stanley and what equipment they were using... unfortuantely I've forgotten now!

Edited by Ian Cooper

>

>So what? Should others work for nothing and still be glad to help you?

Who said they should? Not me. But it's no help unless they can do something others can't.

>Thanks to Blue Ciné Tech you have a drop off point in UK,

They don't seem to be offering a street address for that.

>You should be glad to have a stock keeping retailer at hand :)

Again, no address for collection. As far as my letterbox is concerned, Andec are only a couple of days further away.

>Let us call your bluff and see you try sending in the film yourself and see what you actually spend and how long it takes?

Once again, not me. I haven't used Super-8 for ten years and am unlikely to do so again at the price. But if I did I'd order direct.

I was just commenting. Not queering anybody's pitch. But if it was my money I'd save the 20% and the extra week.

They don't seem to be offering a street address for that.

Ha! that's true. They used to have a really cool little shop in Islington but that went years ago :(

So, from the sound of it you need to post your film to an address some place in London in order for someone else to in turn post it to Germany :huh: