Black and White...?

Guest Stuart Price

Guest Stuart Price

Hi,

As a relative newbie to cinematography, but with some experience of digital editing (Premiere, FCP), and a wealth of experience as a humble playwright, I have written a short film script that I wish to film myself. My question is, is it better to convert to black and white in the edit, (my brief previous experience with filming looked so much better this way) or should I keep experimenting with the camera (MiniDV) and lighting to get colour looking good. Bear in mind that I think the script would probably look better B & W anyway, but is it a cop-out? With regards to lighting, any tips for B & W?

Hi Stuart,

I think you should just shoot it as you feel it. If you like B&W, go for it.

In some ways, B&W is an easier shoot, as you don't have to worry about color temperature.

You also won't have the benefit of using color to separate foreground from backround.

Not to discourage you, but cinematography is a craft, and it a 5 - 10 year process to develop a decent skill set. So, don't expect to make "The Godfather" the first time out.

You can log onto the Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB), and depending on the style of movie your contemplating, look up some films from noted cameramen who worked in B&W. Greg Toland, Stanley Cortez, John Alton, Nicholas Musuraca, Lee Garmes, James Wong Howe, George Diskant,

Woody Bredel, and a host of others. Learn (steal) from the best.

I think it's great that you are coming at this from a writer's backround. The screenplays in modern moives may be their weakest element.

Good luck,

Ken Zukin

Guest Stuart Price

Thanks very much Ken, and the things you wrote have definately caused me to re-think the project. I am going to look for a cinematography student or graduate who may be interested in developing this with me as I have a good solid script and storyboard, and the best thing of all, GOOD ACTORS! I see no reason to rush and make a balls of the photography!

Thanks once again.

Hi,

As a relative newbie to cinematography, but with some experience of digital editing (Premiere, FCP), and a wealth of experience as a humble playwright, I have written a short film script that I wish to film myself. My question is, is it better to convert to black and white in the edit, (my brief previous experience with filming looked so much better this way) or should I keep experimenting with the camera (MiniDV) and lighting to get colour looking good. Bear in mind that I think the script would probably look better B & W anyway, but is it a cop-out? With regards to lighting, any tips for B & W?

If by cop-out you mean you feel like you're taking the "easy way out", then no. Lighting for film requires skill regardless of whether it's color of b/w. Color might be more involved if there's a certain TYPE of color you want, so you might need to struggle with that a bit more, but the basic skills in lighting apply in both formats.

If you're acquiring the footage in DV, keep in mind that the converting to b/w requires a lot of tweaking (it's more involved than simply eliminating the saturation). But then again, it depends on what kind of look you want.

Hi. I'm rather new to B/W DV, but my experiments are showing me that it's possible to get very good looking B/W video, but that the choices made during shooting are fairly different than the ones made for a colour product. Experiment with in-cam saturation as it pertains to grey scale. Framing seems to be quite different for B/W. It's an art, and certainly not a wimpy one. The emphasis seems to be on pattern and detail and contrast (a toughy in DV). And of course, post production tweaking of mids and blacks and all that.

BTW, progressive scan video helps the impact of B/W enormously.

Even if you're going to hire someone else to shoot, experimenting a little to help yourself get clearer on what you want is maybe good idea?

Shawn

It seems like you are taking what Ken and others have said and moving in a positive direction. Start with a great script, not a good one, a great one, get a good DP, get a talented cast.

Now, as you have stated already, there is no need to rush into it. So many people have dv camcorders and are making movies so much so, that the film world, for better or for worse, is now quiet full of people making mediocre films. You want yours to be special, stand out from all the rest.

Having said that, take the time, fine tune your script, find the right DP, perhaps with a camera, then with the stellar, do a budget up to shoot it on film. If indeed you want to strive for the best and black and white is the way you have to go, then shoot film. Nothing in the DV world can match it, especially when it comes to black and white. You have many options, you could shoot Super 8, if that looks suits your needs, or regular 16, negative or positive. The look will not disappoint you like DV quite probably will.

If you're acquiring the footage in DV, keep in mind that the converting to b/w requires a lot of tweaking (it's more involved than simply eliminating the saturation). But then again, it depends on what kind of look you want.

Oh yeah, like what?? Ive resisted dv colortiming like the plaque, I use filters, lament over color temp anything to keep from the inevitable. That being said what other tweeks make b/w its best.