The Master

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2011/06/mihai-malaimare-jr-is-shooting-master.html

Mihai Malaimare Jr. Is Shooting 'The Master'; 65mm Will Be Used

We've heard the rumors for a while now, starting with a comment on our Elswit story, but we've now received a tip from a source close to production that confirms Mihai Malaimare Jr. is the cinematographer on 'The Master.' The DP previously worked with Francis Ford Coppola on "Youth Without Youth" and "Tetro," both of which were shot digitally but don't worry, 'The Master' shooting on film. And if our source is correct, there will be 65mm. If you're not familiar with him, we've included a short behind-the-scenes video from "Tetro" and a Sony spot both featuring Malaimare at work. This will be Paul's first feature without longtime DP Robert Elswit, who was already scheduled to work on the new 'Mission: Impossible' and 'Bourne' films to do 'The Master.'

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so unbelievably excited for this film; P.T. Anderson is quite possibly my favorite director. Robert Elswit has been a huge inspiration to me so it's a shame he won't be working on this, but I'm really excited to see what Malaimare brings to the table. I'm especially excited to see how the film will be different, style-wise, without Elswit there. I've watched and re-watched each and every P.T. Anderson film countless times to study the amazing filmmaking so it'll be interesting to see how much of that genius was Elswit or Anderson's call (they both obviously worked together but I'm sure it'll be obvious what trademarks were Elswit's once I get to see Malaimare's style when fused with Anderson's).

Any new P.T. Anderson film is cause for celebration but this is especially exciting since it's the first time he's worked with someone other than Elswit. Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

They're close to being finished, if not already. I'm gaffing a feature this summer and the rental house I'm getting equipment from apparently had all their HMI's out for the production.

in70mm.com is reporting the film will be all 65mm, and it seems borne out by imdb, which is reporting the AS will be 2.20.

God I hope this gets an Imax release, so we can actually see the bump in clarity!

Facinating all the Imax stuff that seems to be happening all of a sudden, and very ironic seeing as how it's happening just as IMAX theatres have been so badly destroyed!

The new batman trailer thing is apparently only available in real IMAX cinemas and I've head some whining about how few are left now to go and see it in.

Interesting times!

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black