predicated focusing

Clive Alex

I've recently bought some 500T film which I'll be shooting in daylight. I've got no video tap and once I slip a 85ND filter over the lens along with a small f-stop I'm virtually shooting blind while looking through the finder. Apart from pre-focusing the camera and keeping the subject in my focusing zone is there any tricks to doing this?

• Premium Member

I've recently bought some 500T film which I'll be shooting in daylight. I've got no video tap and once I slip a 85ND filter over the lens along with a small f-stop I'm virtually shooting blind while looking through the finder. Apart from pre-focusing the camera and keeping the subject in my focusing zone is there any tricks to doing this?

How about using a slower speed film so you won't be looking through so much ND nor a stopped down lens?

How about using a slower speed film so you won't be looking through so much ND nor a stopped down lens?

I would, but I've bought a lot of 500T very cheap and it's crying out to be used. Ordinarily I would usually choose a slower film.

• Premium Member

You will probably need more than a regular 85ND, probably some additional ND filters.

Obviously if you have a follow focus you can mark and know there the actors will be you can set focus before adding the filters.

Maybe you can trade out some 500T for 50D with someone.