European film schools

Hi. First post here, so I hope you guys can help.

I applied to National Film School of Denmark this year and didn't get in. I got pretty for, so I am hoping to get in next time (they only let in 6 people every other year), and I am looking for a place to qualify myself to get in next time. Somewhere where I can improve my basic cinematography skills. I am looking for short courses - min. six months, max. a year and a half - preferably somewhere in northern Europe. I have searched the web, but what I am finding is three-year programs, BA's and things equally hard to get in to as the Danish film school. I need something to prepare myself for that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

First of all, how old are you? Forget about Den Danske Filmskole (National Film School of Denmark). I know a dusin of alumni from Den Danske Filmskole, and even some of the teachers there. I tell you it's very difficult to get in and they almost never admit first-time applicants into their Directing and Cinematography program. Their selectiveness serves the purpose of making the school seem "highly prestigious" and to preserve the high state funding. You should have applied for Film- & Medievidenskab at København Universitet. The program will give a well-rounded education in film grammar and film history, while it's also free. Additionally, a degree in Film- & Medievidenskab provides for greater opportunity.

As for your question to European film courses, try EICAR in Paris (http://www.eicar-international.com/), I know they offer several cinematography workshops. I also have a friend attending the Budapest Film Academy (http://www.budapestfilmacademy.com/) so might want to have a look at that as well.

If your goal is a degree at Den Danske Filmskole, I suggest you go to Københavns Film og Fotoskole. Den Danske Filmskole accept several people from the school every year. While it does not guarantee admission, it certainty helps improving your basic cinematography and overall artistic skills.

• 1 month later...