First Music Video

Please be super critical. Tell me anything and everything you think that is weak in it.

This is my secod music video with a budget that's for a real band. And, I didn't direct it, so please keep comments about lighting/camera.

Keep in mind there was a lot of good stuff in there. I'll just get straight to the bad. The lamps they were carrying around were blown out occasionally. The main scene with the hanging lights felt empty. What I would have tried to do would be to isolate the center of the room, maybe with a focused hmi pointing straight down from the ceiling, flagged off from the walls. Another thing in that scene is it looked like you lit the whole thing with tungstens since the bulbs were white. I think I would have liked hmi's to give the bulbs more of a yellow glow. Framing seemed ok, nothing amazing, nothing bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the field/country stuff. very natural....I think some would say you could use more of an edge on people or it was a little flat but I thought it was great. the city stuff didn't mesh or look as great to me....but that goes to direction/production design more than anything. The end scene with the light bulbs looked alright, yea I would have tried to separate the band a little more and get a bit more of a range in the exposure as it was all kinda even and a little flat because of it.

I think the grading definitely could have used work overall though, looked pretty Raw Redish

First of all, it really was a great video. Jake and Matt pretty much said it all, but just think about using more edge/rim light. The scenes in the field were really nice, but since the exposure was set for the lamps, you lost all the detail everywhere else (maybe throw some ND filter on the lamps next time), and I think that would've helped you out some. I think (at the end) lens flares can definitely work in some places, and they were fine for part of the video, but it just gets to be too much at the end. Also, a lot of the shots are just dark. I appreciate the use of darkness/shadows, and they work for some of it, (the shot that the video opens with is fine, but its just repeated too much).

I really did like it though, I'd love to see some more stuff from you.