Cinematography Books for Starting Out?

Hello. I'd like to find a book on how to be a cinematographer for new people. You know, with plenty of examples, and where the writing isn't confusing for new people, like myself.

I was also wondering if there is a book for the anatomy of a film camera, or something along those lines?

Here's what I'd like to learn about:

*tungstens

*Film Stocks

*Film Processing

*Film recording cameras and formats

*Cinematography

*Lens

*Lighting

*Gripping

* Camera Accessories

You know, those kinds of things all explained thoroughly for newcomers like myself. Becuase when people start talking about these things, i have clue what they're saying: "Like, no, no. Super 35 is better than Anomorphic!" Things like that.

Any comments will be much appreciated! Thank you! :)

What everyone has said is a perfect start. Read an ASC magazine every month, and all the terms you don't understand, just google them and you'll find out what they mean.

A recent book that has helped me enormously, especially with film stocks, is Cinematography for Directors. This was recommended in this forum for books for cinematographers, so I checked it out. It goes in depth about lenses, filters, lights, grip equipment... basically everything that a cinematographer should know. And one of the most important parts of this book are quotes from professional cinematographers, where they give you quotes and an insight on how important a collaboration between a cinematographer and a director is. I highly recommend this book.

All books mentioned above are great ones that I recommend to my students when it comes to technical and aesthetic questions. I would also recommend a book that I recently published (yes, I'm hawking my own wares) that talks about the beginning stages of any cinematographer's career as they climb the film set "ladder" or navigate through film school. Many chapters focus on the business side of the job and how to mold personal passion into a viable career. It does not provide a guaranteed "How To", rather plenty of insight for every young potential cinematographer to consider as they begin their journey. Topics range from joining the union, getting an agent, film school vs the ladder, and strategies on getting yourself out there.

So You Want To Be A Cinematographer? ... Life Behind The Lens

It was reviewed by our own David Mullen as well as Blain Brown, the author of many highly regarded cinematography books.

"This book is an honest and accurate account of what many cinematographers go through at the beginning of their careers, and there are few books like it out there. Hopefully a beginner reading Austin Schmidt's personal experiences will learn what opportunities and minefields lie ahead for them and plan accordingly."
-M. David Mullen, ASC Cinematographer and co-author of "Cinematography (Third Edition)"

"It presents an excellent overview of what is involved in working as a cinematographer and what is involved in becoming one."
If you are thinking you might want to be a cinematographer, you should read this book. Once you decide it's what you want to do, then read my book."
-Blain Brown Author of "Cinematography: Theory and Practice"

While this book is a lot more than what the title implies it still addresses the questions that many students of the art of cinematography will ask. The author has written from his personal experiences in detail. While others may encounter very different experiences or situations, the basic idea is there. I know that many beginning and most experienced cinematographers will be able to relate to Mr. Schmidt's travails. For those wanting to have an insight into what awaits them in the working class below-the-line world there is a lot to be gleaned from his writings.
-Roberto Schaefer, ASC, AIC

As far as camera anatomy goes, check out "Professional Cameraman's Handbook" by Sylvia & Verne Carlson. It hasn't been updated in years, with the passing of Verne, but is still a wealth of knowledge if you're into shooting film.

Whether or not you want to be an AC, the Camera Assistant books I think are very useful. If you want to work as a cinematographer, it's quite helpful to the camera department to understand what it is they are actually doing for you. So many hack shooters out there grow impatient because they have no understanding of why certain things take 1 minute from now vs. 5 minutes ago.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Those books are great to gain understanding of the technical aspects of cinematography. In addition, I'd recommend books on painting and photography. Ansel Adams' two volume set The Camera and The Negative were essential to my gaining greater understanding of just HOW I capture a scene, and paintings taught me much about light, shadow and color...Jack Cardiff was especially fond of the Dutch Northern Renaissance and the Impressionists.

• 2 months later...

If you want to check out Super-8 for starting out check this thread and the info. The book is now available on Amazon US and directly from the publisher smile.gif

Earlier thread on Super-8 section: link there
post-18818-0-36401700-1306341082.jpg

Super 8: Film Handbook for the Digital Age

Table of content:

01. Let’s get started – 17 insider tips for absolute beginners
02. Inventors and their creations – A tangle of film formats
03. You can’t avoid theory completely – What’s inside a movie camera?
04. Let the fun begin – Choosing the right camera
05. The agony of choice – Which film for your camera?
06. Camera ready, film loaded – Shooting with Super 8
07. Follow the doctor’s orders – Keep your camera running and running and running
08. Doing it yourself can be fun – Dazzling development!
09. From analog to digital – Scanning Super 8
10. Snip, snip – Cutting, splicing and viewing
11. The real thing – Choosing the right projector
12. Fit for the future – Film care and storage
13. Submit your film – Super 8 festivals and competitions
14. Labs, Shops and Internet sites from – The Super 8 Universe
15. Super 8 Market – Small format shopping

• Upvote 1

Of course there's FAR more to know about Cinematography then the technical aspects. What good is knowing how to do something without having the opportunity to use your skills? For that, I recommend my own book, "What I Really Want to Do: On Set in Hollywood." Knowing how the industry truly works and how every other department interacts with the DP is essential to doing your job well and building a successful career.

http://realfilmcareer.com/?page_id=41

Hello. I'd like to find a book on how to be a cinematographer for new people. You know, with plenty of examples, and where the writing isn't confusing for new people, like myself.

I was also wondering if there is a book for the anatomy of a film camera, or something along those lines?

Here's what I'd like to learn about:

*tungstens
*Film Stocks
*Film Processing
*Film recording cameras and formats
*Cinematography
*Lens
*Lighting
*Gripping
* Camera Accessories

You know, those kinds of things all explained thoroughly for newcomers like myself. Becuase when people start talking about these things, i have clue what they're saying: "Like, no, no. Super 35 is better than Anomorphic!" Things like that.

Any comments will be much appreciated! Thank you! smile.gif

Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers and Directors

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

A fantastic new resource I just finished is "Shooting Movie without Shooting Yourself in the Foot." One of the best books on the responsiblities of a cinematographer. I also found 5 C's to be lacking, you can all of that info in Malkiwicz's (with a little help from Mr. Mullen ASC) Cinematography and more...

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/aadams/story/book_review_how_to_shoot_movies_without_shooting_yourself_in_the_foot/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The best book is working for free. On the job training.

And don't get fooled into hanging out with crew people who do drugs. Lots of middle aged grips go that route, or get arrested or worse.

Be on time, be professional, don't anything personally, just do your job or whatever it is people tell you. You'll learn tons more that way than by reading a text from Focus Publications.

I had all of the little books with the slate cover on them. Everything from gels to scrims to cameras to dollies, etc. I never read a single one.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to above books mentioned ,I would also recommend Basic Photographic Materials And Processes By Nanette Salvaggio.. I Just Glanced The Whole Book , It has very good and deep explanations about many things- Light , Exposure , Optics ,Sensitometry, Color , Tone Reproduction , Filters Etc.. If u want to get strong in theoretical part i highly recommend this book...Rather Than Other Books Which explains only the practical part we need ,this book explains everything with deep science behind every aspects of Photographic materials .. But though some dragging unwanted explanations are also there in this which we need to skip.. But Overall a great book With lots of information .

Thank You,
Sundar Raghavan.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think over the course of the past year I've managed to learn the very basics of cinematography. I feel I could definitely talk and understand a professional cinematographer, should the occasion arise in the near future. In my next project, which will be my first feature, I've decided to hire a cinematographer, knowing I will make mistakes. I've mainly learned from David Mullen , Roger Deakins, and the American Cinematographer's manual. Also, 'The 5Cs of Cinematography' really helps you understand the fluidity of camera movements, which is something I struggled with in my first short, and where the cut should be, which is very important.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I would like to give my contribution to this discussion by telling you I bought some of the books, who were advise on page one and so far I'm not disappointed at all.

Right now I'm reading So you want to be a Cinematographer? Life Behind a Lens by Austin F. Scmidt. And Honestly my only regret is to not have read this book when I was 20 years old. By the way the forum is mentioned in the book :)

So for those of you who dream to pursue a career as a Cinematographer I advise you to read this book first.

Regards

There is also my new book

"Lighting for Cinematography: A practical guide to the art and craft of lighting for the moving image." from Bloomsbury Press, which has been getting good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Cinematography-Practical-Moving-Cinetech/dp/1628926929/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416779964&sr=1-1&keywords=lighting+for+cinematography

or from my website http://www.lightingforcinematography.com/

Of course there's the ASC book "Reflections" by Benjamin Bergery and the Focal Press book" Cinematography" by Mike Goodridge & Tim Grierson - both excellent resources.

Edited by David Landau

• 10 months later...