Cartridge Tabs and 85 filter

Guest Brian Danin

Guest Brian Danin

On the inside of the camera, there is a little metal button like thing, and when you push it in (when you are looking through the camera as it's rolling, and the film gate is opening) the built in 85 filter turns off.

On the super 8mm cartridge itself, there is a little tab sort of thing that I was cutting off so that this little metal button won't be pushed and the 85 filter removed.

Now, this seems really weird to me.

Why does the 85 filter turn off, why is that button there? and taking this "tab" off is odd, no??

Guest Brian Danin

I know what the 85 filter is, and why it's there, but when i turn it on, there is a little metal button on the inside of the camera that gets pushed in by the cartridge itself.

That's what this is in relation to.

There's usually a button in the film compartment, on the lower front side, which is depressed when a b&w cartridge is inserted because the cc filter is not needed for b&w. Colour cartridges normally have a notch which misses that pin, so you choose whether to de-activate the filter ("de-activate" because the default on many cameras is "filter in").

I have never shot 7218 neg, but maybe those cartridges automatically disable the filter and you're expected to filter in front of the lens. Always a better filter anyway.

Rick