night time exterior long take

HelloThere,

I'm trying to decide how to light a night time exterior scene in which two actors are walking down a suburban street. They are a young couple walking to a local house party. There's about 3 full pages of dialog as the couple walks. Do not have a location yet but I'm picturing an upscale neighborhood similar to the look of Blue Velvet I'd say.

So I'd like to shoot the whole scene in one long steadicam shot facing the actors. I will be using a Canon 7D with a 24mm or 35mm I'm thinking. I want the background to be a little soft so the characters pop slightly but we can still see the neighborhood.

I'm trying to figure out how to light this. At first I thought I could find a nice spot where we can shoot with overhead street lights and just try and control it a little. Maybe use a china ball attached to a poll to follow with the actors as a soft key. Maybe a 4x4 bounce card under the camera to help fill the street light, or maybe bounce a little household bulb into it.

I'd like to through up some bigger sources as backlights and rims on the actors but I'm pretty sure I probably can only get a 800w Joker and some 1K Fresnels. I will probably have access to one house for power.

I guess my questions are:

What's a nice realistic way to carry light with two walking people at night given the circumstances?

Would it be best to try and break up the scene into a dark area with no street lights and fake the moon then come into the lights? or would that be unnatural?

What would be the best way to utilize my bigger lights? or to not?

Any impute on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by John Hale