How Can B Movies Exist?

Peter Ellner

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B or even C movies go a long way in keeping below the line workers (like myself) paid as we aspire to move up the ranks. It's also a great way to learn technical skills you can't learn in film school. There's also the issue of union membership. Depending on the local, technical unions like IATSE accept applicants only if they've fulfilled the required number of paid days. As a student fresh out of film school, there's no way you're getting on a big budget A movie unless it's as a PA.

Face it, we can't all be working on the next Citizen Kane or the latest Scorcese masterpiece. That said, in this economy, I'm happy and grateful to get what work I can. For many, such work is often their sole source of income for them and their families.

I salute any filmmaker who has the cajones to make a film regardless of budget or quality.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gabriela Castanon

When I started out, I didn't study film and had no contacts whatsoever. My very first gig was as an unpaid extra on a movie called "The Killer Washing Machine"! :lol: I am dead serious!