Technicolor cinestyle, Night club scene

anaoshak

Hi guys, I figure I'd post this in the color correction section because it's pertinent to what's best for post.

We are shooting a music video with one scene being in a nightclub. if everything goes by plan, the blacks will be black without a ton of noise, and the nightclub lights will be very distinguishable. Naturally that's the idea of how it should turn out during post.

My question is, is technicolor cinestyle the way to go for this? I just got back shooting a horror movie, and they were able to match the red footage with the 7d footage at a color correction studio when I shot with the cinestyle picture style but if we are talking about a project that involves lots of colors, and variations between yellows and reds, blues and purples within deep blacks, will it get sort of meshed up with the cinestyle?

I would test but there isn't money to get enough fill light in the club, so it's a one time deal when it comes down to shooting. Most test I've seen with this picture style are in naturally filled environments.

I would say yes. Technicolor's CineStyle is the way to go. I've had to match 5D Mark II footage with Super35, Alexa, and Red One so far this year this year in terms of color and you can get in the ball park. You will be smashing your blacks back down though overall if you want a "pure" black.

I shot this at Coachella this year with CineStyle:

http://www.vimeo.com/26876870

Brighter than the club lights you are likely going to deal with, but still an extremely dark live performance. In the correction/grade some of these shots are pushed +1.5 stops. I cleaned up the noise though and tossed a 5218 grain pattern over the whole thing.

Thanks for the response.

This is a lower end budget video when compared to the film. We aren't matching footage either for this, all 5D.

I think the key will be to switch from neutral to technicolor to see if exposure is right.

Thanks.

Thanks for the response.

This is a lower end budget video when compared to the film. We aren't matching footage either for this, all 5D.

I think the key will be to switch from neutral to technicolor to see if exposure is right.

Thanks.

Have you tried the Marvels Cine 3.4 picture style? I use it a lot because it looks good right out of the camera and still has plenty of shadow and highlight data to tweak. http://marvelsfilm.wordpress.com/marvels-cine-canon/