Cheapest 400' Capable Camera?

Chris Lee

Which cameras have a 400' magazine capacity that are affordable (under 1k)?

I have a 100' only camera. I may be able to get 400' rolls for a considerable discount, so I'm looking if there are any 400' mag cameras that could possibly save me the exorbitant cost of film stock.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

When you solve this mystery, let me know! I am desperately trying to find a 16mm camera package that has 400' load capability and quiet enough for sound. I tried to CP-16 thing but all the packages I have found are bunk. I saw a thread recently that touted how there are tons of these cameras around such as Eclairs and such. If you folks are reading, please direct me to such deals and I could use it.

Jig yourself up a winder - two pencils and some tape would do

...and a darkroom I guess ! Which is to say a 'dark' room - not a photochemical style one - yer closet at night is perfect

Take your cheap 400' rolls and respool them onto your daylights ...

Done

I used to do it all the time - still got a features worth of 16 in the fridge, but I'm up to other tricks at the mo' wink.gif

I agree that the CP-16 line of cameras, in today's market, give you the most quality for the least amount of investment.

They are designed to be quiet and run crystal sync. Because they were most often used for TV news-gathering, some examples that come up are pretty beat up. But they were also used in many schools where they were less subject to extreme abuse. If possible, look for a camera that was maintained regularly.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

The CP's are too loud unless you have a barney and a sound blanket and a leather jacket, hell the SR-1's are too loud for studio work.

Can I get independent verification of this from other CP-16 owners as this is the first time I have heard this? I need to know as I was considering purchasing a CP package for sound work.

My own personal camera in the eighties when I was still in production was a CP-16R. This was chosen after testing an Eclair ACL, an Eclair NPR and an Arriflex 16BL. The CP was the quietest of the bunch. Improperly maintained cameras will be louder of course.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

I have a 100' only camera. I may be able to get 400' rolls for a considerable discount, so I'm looking if there are any 400' mag cameras that could possibly save me the exorbitant cost of film stock.

Thanks!

There is a Mitchell DSR-16 Newsreel camera on sale on Ebay right now 8/8/11. This was a camera designed by Mitchell and ordered by CBS News in the 1960's for their 60 minutes TV show. They wanted their reporters to have a camera that they could use for interviews in the field. It's a sound on film camera, like the Auricons, and you have the option to thread the film to shoot silent, and use separate sound equipment. Being designed for interviews in the field, it should run quiet enough for dialog, and it uses 400ft magazines.

Wow, the 400' mag camera sure is a most coveted item.

I do have an earlier version of the scoopic, which I think I'll be sticking with, as Will pointed out, allows for quick and easy transport.

I did find a CP-16 for sale in Austin, Texas:

http://austin.craigslist.org/pho/2532914276.html

Up for grabs for anyone that was looking for one.

Thanks!

Russian professional Kinor-16 SX-2M

Reflex viewfinder.

The claw mechanism with registration pin.

The film maghazines 100 ft and 400 ft.

The electrical motor with analog speed stabilization, can be upgrade to crystal sync speed.

Prime lenses from super wide angle 6 mm up to tele 300 mm.

Zoom lenses 7.5-75 mm, 10-100 mm, 12-120 mm.

All technical details by PM.

• Premium Member
I do have an earlier version of the scoopic, which I think I'll be sticking with, as Will pointed out, allows for quick and easy transport.

The only Scoopic that is 400' capable (with a hard to find adapter) is the Scoopic MS, the last version made. I like to think of a Scoopic as the highest-end home movie camera you could ever want. Great for weddings & handheld work. Not great for anything like landscapes or tripod shots where you will see slight steadiness issues in skies and solid color areas. Really great lens for a fixed lens camera. Perfect for sunny days at the State Fair. Also the fastest loading camera I've ever seen (with 100' loads.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to say it's the CP-16, at least in my experience. Mine was 500 bucks, more between 6-700 if you include the new belts and battery I purchased from whitehouse audio visual. On ebay earlier this week they where selling one for 200 bucks with no bids at the time! The price changes depending on if it's the reflex model(Cp16R) or the one with the TTL lens (CP16-CP16A).

The Bell and Howell with the 400ft magazine is arguable. I used to have the military model of the 400' adaptable camera (The KHR I believe?), there are alot of jokers online that try and sell you the magazine and motors for more then what the camera itself would cost. Even then not only will it not be sync but I guarantee it'll be loud.

Anyhoo, I love my Cp-16. After using an anamorphic 16:9 adapter on it for some projects, I think i'm going to just get it converted to Ultra16. That's my 2 cents.

-Phil

• 2 weeks later...

hello

are you still intrested in a 16mm cam with 400' mag? i am selling my frezzolini LW16 which is something like a conversion of a bach auricon. i give it away completely with 400'mag. 12-120 angenieux lense, original lense cap, 85B filter etc. the camera is in pristine condition! belts inside have recently been replaced. battery is also included.

247868_224212294263770_100000250035577_932881_4974695_n.jpg

254843_224212307597102_100000250035577_932882_6214827_n.jpg

260263_224212254263774_100000250035577_932878_770075_n.jpg

252883_224212270930439_100000250035577_932880_2884365_n.jpg

let me know if you are intrested and we can talk about price...

randy

When you solve this mystery, let me know! I am desperately trying to find a 16mm camera package that has 400' load capability and quiet enough for sound. I tried to CP-16 thing but all the packages I have found are bunk. I saw a thread recently that touted how there are tons of these cameras around such as Eclairs and such. If you folks are reading, please direct me to such deals and I could use it.

It may be that CP cameras are the best value for money but I never liked those cameras. There are some real bargans coming on eBay for Eclair ACL very recently.

Eclair ACL 16mm camera package (sold US$468)

http://global.ebay.com/Eclair-ACL-16mm-camera-package/170688011030/item

Eclair ACL II 16mm camera kit - no reserve (sold 620 pound about US$1000)

http://global.ebay.com/Eclair-ACL-II-16mm-camera-kit---no-reserve/180707508303/item

I think that having access to a service techniciuan is an important factor in what you buy. If you can't easily get a checkup and lube you are adding to the risk that your camera will go downhill, maybe even fail. This is true for any camera I think.

Cheers

Gregg