Camera reports

Reading about the various activities of camera assistants, I occasionally come across the task of writing camera reports. Besides including the T stop, and (I assume) the film stock and lens, what other details are included in these reports? Also, I'm quite curious about the purpose behind these camera reports. I guess that they are referred back to from time to time for whatever reason.

• Premium Member

Footage of take. Footage remaining. What mag you were on. It's important in tracing problems during dailings, for example, if there is a scratch which is coming up on shots, you can check which mag it was on and examine the mag (or use a different mag). Also important for keeping a running total of film shot. And if you have any reshoots, or need to match something; or for post to look into if they're inserting fxs.

for reference:

http://www.misteridi...-camera-report/

though in field you probably wouldn't need "instructor" and I'd nix the whole "transfer" bit for later on.

When shooting film they are the hard copy link from set to the lab. It lets the lab know if a scratch occurs they can look at other rolls from that mag to see if the scratch is consistent as Adrian said. They also let the lab know of any special processing that might occur. They are also hard copies for the loader to archive so if there is any confusion or questions it's written down. It allows you to go from the camera report to the film report which keeps track of total raw stock, exposed stock and short ends and recans. Every DP and 1st is different for what they want done and how it's done. Some rental houses make their own reports as well as labs. I got a great report template from a 1st where I was the loader on the show and just got used to that report.

Also, lens and t-stop are more approiate for a camera log. Which keeps track of all of that and lens height, scene, roll, etc.

Edited by Michael Kubaszak