Arriflex 2C A/B motor cable

Jonathan Bel

I'm throwing this out there for anyone who has used and/or still uses the Arri 2C/B or A. I recently caught a video of deaf filmmaker Robert Hoskin shooting with this camera. Seems he uses it exclusively. Anyway, I noticed he had a long cable running from his motor to what looks to be a outlet inside a restaurant. There is some type of regulator box between the cable and the power source. (in the other clips he's running his cable into a small generator)

here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Silencebound#p/u/20/J9tHfQYAVFU

I've always used a belt to power my camera but I'd love to know if I can power it indoors with a special cable to a wall outlet. Is this possible?

Edited by Jonathan Bel

• Site Sponsor

Arri had a AC powered motor, I believe it was a variable speed motor with a speed controller on the regulator box. They may have had a crystal version too but I am not sure of that. Don't plug your regular Arri motor into an AC outlet!! unless you like smoke!! You could get a AC to 12V power supply to run the camera but you would probably be better off adapting 18V power drill batteries for the camera....

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Of course you can't plug the 16.8 Volt DC Arri motor directly into the wall power. But the Arri wild motor ought to run OK off an ordinary car battery charger from AutoZone or the like. You probably won't be able to get all the way to 48 fps with it, but for most purposes it would be an inexpensive AC adapter.

-- J.S.