film stock and processing in Tokyo?

Hello all,

I will be visiting Tokyo briefly in about a week. I will have 5 days there. I want to purchase some Fuji 16mm stock while there, shoot it and have it processed. Does anyone here know where I might buy the stock and have it processed in Tokyo?

Many thanks,

richard

Hi Todd,

thanks for suggesting Retro. Yes, I know them. I have emailed Tak of Retro and hope to meet him while I am there. Retro don't handle 16mm film, but I have asked him for suggestions. Last email I sent Tak I didn't get a reply however.

I just received an email from a Japanese experimental filmmaker collegue who is currently in North America. He suggests its hard to get 16mm film in Japan, and that I should bring it from Australia. Hmmm. I still haven't found a lab that actually lists film processing. Kodak's laboratory page (which is often terribly wrong - check out their information about Australian labs for instance, where it lists several that are no longer in business or never processed movie film - mentions 3 labs in Tokyo. Looking at their sites, I don't see mention of film processing. Yes, I would have thought in a city of 12.5 Million it would be easy to get these services.

Well, I am still hunting on the net. I will keep asking: does anyone know where I can buy Fuji 16mm in Tokyo and where I can have it processed? Any helpful suggestions would be ... helpful!

regards,

richard

Richard, just as it wouldn't surprise me finding a dearth of information on FujiFilm certified labs in Rochester, it doesn't surprise me that there's a similar lack of information for motion picture labs in the heart of FujiFilm's empire on the Kodak website.

As far as what Simon has provided, I don't read either of the two Japanese alphabets anymore, let alone remember the language, but there are definitely PICTURES of 16mm film on the Imagica website, and if they have a film recorder they at least know where to get film processed.

Worst case, I don't see why 16mm film couldn't run on 35mm rollers, unless you're dealing with a sprocket-drive machine (not talking about Retro, just in theory this should work if you bribe the guy with sake before he turns off the machine at the end of the night).

Hi Todd,

thanks for suggesting Retro. Yes, I know them. I have emailed Tak of Retro and hope to meet him while I am there. Retro don't handle 16mm film, but I have asked him for suggestions. Last email I sent Tak I didn't get a reply however.

I just received an email from a Japanese experimental filmmaker collegue who is currently in North America. He suggests its hard to get 16mm film in Japan, and that I should bring it from Australia. Hmmm. I still haven't found a lab that actually lists film processing. Kodak's laboratory page (which is often terribly wrong - check out their information about Australian labs for instance, where it lists several that are no longer in business or never processed movie film - mentions 3 labs in Tokyo. Looking at their sites, I don't see mention of film processing. Yes, I would have thought in a city of 12.5 Million it would be easy to get these services.

Well, I am still hunting on the net. I will keep asking: does anyone know where I can buy Fuji 16mm in Tokyo and where I can have it processed? Any helpful suggestions would be ... helpful!

regards,

richard

It says right here they develop E-6 16mm: http://film.club.ne.jp/english/eng_genzomachine.html

And here's Fuji Cinvea 50 in 16mm (scroll down): http://film.club.ne.jp/item/cinevia.htm

Hello all,

I will be visiting Tokyo briefly in about a week. I will have 5 days there. I want to purchase some Fuji 16mm stock while there, shoot it and have it processed. Does anyone here know where I might buy the stock and have it processed in Tokyo?

Many thanks,

richard

Why not ask a Fuji motion picture rep?

Right you are Todd, looks like they do handle 16mm colour reversal. I am interested in Fuji's MP film (ie colour neg). Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks Simon for finding the Imagicawest site. I had been to the Imagica site, in which I couldn't find a mention of film processing. But imagica west seems to be the go for processing.

richard

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

Many thanks,

richard

These labs have world-class services you can trust:

IMAGICA Corp.

(株)IMAGICA

2-14-1 Higashigotanda, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo 141-0022

Tel: +81-3-3280-1338

Fax: +81-3-3280-1339

E-mail: sakaguchi.akira@imagica.jp

URL : http://www.imagica.com/

TOKYO LABORATORY LTD.

(株)東京現像所

2-13 Fujimicho, Chofu-shi, Tokyo 182-8555

Tel: +81-42-485-9915

Fax: +81-42-481-6100

E-mail: togen@tokyolab.co.jp

URL : http://www.tokyolab.co.jp

YOKOCINE D.I.A. INC.

(株)ヨコシネ ディー アイ エー

Sales Department

41-1 Udagawacho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0042

Tel: +81-3-3464-4882

Fax: +81-3-3464-4080

E-mail: m-takahashi@yokocine.com

URL : http://www.yokocine.com

If you need any further info, just ask...

Good Luck!