DSLR vs...?

Jason Hinkle RIP

(sorry to post in general, not sure where to put this question...?)

If you were shooting a cooking show and had the choice (based on budget) between DSLR or an HD camera around the level of the Canon XF 105 or a Panasonic HVX200, what do you all think would be a good choice? We will have adequate lighting and it's not required to record audio on the camera, so basically it's down to image quality that will be consistent. We have some b-roll that's coming from a DSLR, but I need to choose the gear for the main cooking part of the program.

Also I feel kinda dumb asking but what frame rate do you guys shoot for network TV? I've only shot film and video at 24p but when I watch HD TV it looks so crisp I was wondering if that's normally shot at perhaps 60p?

Thanks for any help.

Are you shooting double system audio?

Yes, separate audio. the camera audio won't be used. i don't need to worry about sync either - i mean to say that camera audio or any input/sync settings related to audio is completely not a factor in the choice.

Edited by Jason Hinkle

60i not p is what they tend to shoot television because television is interlaced, the DSLRs are incapable of shooting interlaced nonetheless, but 25fps is the standard for PAL television (50i) and I believe 30frames is standard (or maybe 29?) for NTCS.

I would personally consider what kind of program you are shooting and what needs to be delivered. You'll get more shallow dof with the SLRs, but you may also get other unflattering problems such as rolling shutter and moire. There's also a 12 minute recording time, no timecode (multiple camera editing problems). But you could potentially use it as a b-roll and grade to match some other type of camera.

Everyone seems to be using DSLRs for everything these days, so it can definitely be achieved, but it may just cause other problems in the process for only a bit of depth in the image.