RED EPIC

Andy Thompson

Hi

I am shooting some B-roll of a sport event for a commercial on friday night. We will be using the EPIC at 2K, shooting 300fps or maybe 240fps (so we can lower compression). I have read somethings about the 2K being chunky in the blacks with noise. Has anyone experienced this?

Will be shooting with the optiomo 24-290 to give myself a fighting chance under stadium lighting.

Cheers

Andy

• Premium Member

Hi

I am shooting some B-roll of a sport event for a commercial on friday night. We will be using the EPIC at 2K, shooting 300fps or maybe 240fps (so we can lower compression). I have read somethings about the 2K being chunky in the blacks with noise. Has anyone experienced this?

Will be shooting with the optiomo 24-290 to give myself a fighting chance under stadium lighting.

Cheers

Andy

From the tests I have done 2K from Epic is better than 2K from Red one, compression did not seem an obvious issue.

• Premium Member

I don't agree with that statement, but thanks for the clarification. Some shows here use 2K to get extra focal length from their lens, for instance.

Seems a really bizarre thing to do, there is a resolution hit at 2k. A x2 tele-converter would be a better option.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems a really bizarre thing to do, there is a resolution hit at 2k. A x2 tele-converter would be a better option.

I did a couple of tests at 2K 300 FPS....and I did notice some pretty bad noise in some areas, mostly the blacks. Oddly, with one test shot of someone in extreme sunlight, the image was disgustingly noisy...like it looked like a low quality H264 compression.... And that shot was at 48 fps at 5K....we couldn't really figure out why...the compression rate must have been unusually high for that one shot.

I could see how its bizarre if your in a controlled environment. Although in some outdoor situations its awesome. The other day i had a Red 300 and a doubler in my pack. At 4K the 300 wasn't enough to put my subject into in full frame. I switched it over to 2K (600) and it still wasn't enough. Then I put on the doubler at 2K (1200) and the subject was in full frame. You start to loose stops but if your shooting in daylight it doesn't matter. Great way to get crazy Focal DOF on anything as well. Lots of stuff to work with if you have a doubler and the capability of switching from 4 to 2K! It just depends on what you shoot for a living...

Edited by Dustin Lindgren

• Premium Member

I did a couple of tests at 2K 300 FPS....and I did notice some pretty bad noise in some areas, mostly the blacks. Oddly, with one test shot of someone in extreme sunlight, the image was disgustingly noisy...like it looked like a low quality H264 compression.... And that shot was at 48 fps at 5K....we couldn't really figure out why...the compression rate must have been unusually high for that one shot.

You need to do a black shading before shooting 2k @ 300.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The compression at 2k isn't nearly as bad as on the Red One, but its going to depend on how much light you have. If after compensating you end up rating at around a T1.2 @300fps in 2k 800 ISO you're going to have problems. But if you end up at a T5.6 you should be ok without too much difference in quality.

~Marque

Want To Shoot A Scarlet...

http://www.indiegogo.com/Red-Scarlet-Project?a=32535&i=addr