ultra16 + super16 coversion!

Jakub Buczynski

I've posted this topic in russian cameras section, but since almost nobody looks there, and I've had no response, I thought, that I will post it also here:

I just got my Krasnogorsk K-3 camera. I wanted it converted for super 16, so I disassembled camera and taken gate out if it. And when I was holding that gate, and thinking about widening it, a strange idea came into my mind. What about widening gate both sides? Like super16 + ultra 16? Or double super16. So not only widening it 2.26mm to the left, but also 2.26mm to the right. It would give me the biggest possible area for 2.35:1 from 16mm film. I've never seen anybody doing that, so is there possibilty to damage camera by doing that? I know that nobody would transfer that kind of format, but it's not a problem for me, because i'm going to make diy telecine. And on the other hand it would be still possible to transfer it like super 16 and ultra 16, since this format would cover both of them. And also there would be no need for centering lens. What do you think about that?

Discussion regarding this comes about every year or so...

I think the main issues that you haven't outlined are edgecode, lens coverage and some camera systems use claws that ride the film on the return stroke (scratches).

After all that discussion someone usually crops up with a link to a working example ;)

No, that's ultra 16. I mean something like conversion to super 16 + widening gate 2.26mm to the right side, to use whole surface od film. There are black edges on your photo, and I dont want them, as I could record there and get more resolution. http://eclair16.com/files/2009/04/16mm-super-ultra.jpg as you can see super 16 uses maximum area to the left, but I also want to use maximum area on the right. Perforation would not be a problem for 2.35:1 aspect.

No, that's ultra 16. I mean something like conversion to super 16 + widening gate 2.26mm to the right side, to use whole surface od film. There are black edges on your photo, and I dont want them, as I could record there and get more resolution.

That link shows a black strip down the side of the super16 image, this is required to support the film against the gate, it will be scratched and unusable, without it the whole image would have to rub between a gate and pressure pad or you'd have to design a gateless system with a complete set of other limiting factors.

Basically, without a design around it (got one?) - your system will need these black edges

The image supplied by Roberto shows an image that extends with symmetry beyond the scope of Ultra16 - it is approaching what you're taking about - notice the edge fog getting pretty close in there ?

Also take a look here:

400px-16mm-2-edgecodes.jpg

http://motion.kodak....eykode_16mm.pdf

Perhaps in this case the .pdf should be called "Kodak, Gives you the Edge That Hinders"

If you've got the time to organise un-coded stock, convert your machine (that doesn't scratch the image area) and scanner (that doesn't scratch the image area), find wide lenses that cover (there's more to 'coverage' than simply vignetting) - then whats to stop you ?

Remember, it's been done - but you and most of us when we thought of it too hadn't heard about it - which is telling. wink.gif

Someone will turn up soon with a link to the earlier discussions - try searching for hyperbole type terms with a hyphen to '16'

Jukub,

I admire your efforts to inspire discussion on extracting "native" Cinemascope aspect ratio (2.35:1) from standard 16mm film width.

Have you considered the native spherical hybrid format known as UltraPan8? i.e

Aspect ratio = 2.8:1. Standard 16mm optics provide full coverage and are optically centered. Shooting time is doubled.

Regards,

Nicholas Kovats

Toronto

• Premium Member

Perhaps in this case the .pdf should be called "Kodak, Gives you the Edge That Hinders"

Ultra 16, attempts to record an image so the "left Edge" just misses the makers markings. and so the image will also go on the soundtrack area (formerly the second set of perfs.) by the same amount. The height is constrained to avoid the perfs.

Super 16 uses the normal image area and all the soundtrack area. it can use the full height of the frame as it does not go nearer to the perferations than any of the conventional 16mm cameras do.

My understanding is the original poster wants to do both and use All the area that the others use. SO they would be constrained to use only part of the hight to avoid the Perfs, but could go as close to the other edge as Super16 does. The can't go more than about half way into the perf area to avoid both the film manufacturers markings as well as the possible damage from the claw in the Camera.

The "ultrapan8" format is a variant and uses JUST the area between the perfs but with a half height frame and puts two frames in the area of a conventional 16mm frame by the expedient of using film stock perforated for regular 8 but obviously not slitting it. At least my understanding is that the perforated area is not used.

Ultra 16, attempts to record an image so the "left Edge" just misses the makers markings. and so the image will also go on the soundtrack area (formerly the second set of perfs.) by the same amount. The height is constrained to avoid the perfs.

Super 16 uses the normal image area and all the soundtrack area. it can use the full height of the frame as it does not go nearer to the perferations than any of the conventional 16mm cameras do.

My understanding is the original poster wants to do both and use All the area that the others use. SO they would be constrained to use only part of the hight to avoid the Perfs, but could go as close to the other edge as Super16 does. The can't go more than about half way into the perf area to avoid both the film manufacturers markings as well as the possible damage from the claw in the Camera.

The "ultrapan8" format is a variant and uses JUST the area between the perfs but with a half height frame and puts two frames in the area of a conventional 16mm frame by the expedient of using film stock perforated for regular 8 but obviously not slitting it. At least my understanding is that the perforated area is not used.

YES, that's exactly what I mean. So my question is: is it possible?

No, that's ultra 16. I mean something like conversion to super 16 + widening gate 2.26mm to the right side, to use whole surface od film. There are black edges on your photo, and I dont want them, as I could record there and get more resolution. http://eclair16.com/files/2009/04/16mm-super-ultra.jpg as you can see super 16 uses maximum area to the left, but I also want to use maximum area on the right. Perforation would not be a problem for 2.35:1 aspect.

If you look at the picture, it isn't actually Ultra16. The Ultra16 square is mapped out but the exposed area continues to the right. Look at the picture again. I assume that it covers a cinemascope size area but have not measured it. HOWEVER this picture was shot on Kodachrome which I think omitted all the edge code and other stuff.

Theres a small bit of spacing at the 2 far edges so the film can sit flat on the gate and not cause focus problems etc.

love

Freya

If you look at the picture, it isn't actually Ultra16. The Ultra16 square is mapped out but the exposed area continues to the right. Look at the picture again. I assume that it covers a cinemascope size area but have not measured it. HOWEVER this picture was shot on Kodachrome which I think omitted all the edge code and other stuff.

Theres a small bit of spacing at the 2 far edges so the film can sit flat on the gate and not cause focus problems etc.

love

Freya

Yes, it's wider than ultra 16, but super 16 is wider to the left than ultra. And on your photo ultra goes right to the end of the left side. That's why I think, that I could get more space on left. But maybe that's just the way that marks were drawn on your picture, as there is lots of space on the right side. Anyway, can you give me info about gate used to shoot that? Thanks for help!

I meant this picture the one you said is ultra16. It isn't, it's clearly wider, and yes you can obviously go as far to the left as S16 will allow. I'm guessing that if Ultra doesn't it's so that they can use cheaper lenses and have everything centered still.

Maybe you could go wider on the left side like in S16 and then bring it in a little on the right side to avoid the edge code and still get a scope ratio. You would need to measure.

Ok, so as I understand, I can use left side to the end of stock, and to the right side to keycode. So I think my last question for making calculations: How wide is keycode on 16mm?

• Premium Member

So I think my last question for making calculations: How wide is keycode on 16mm?

I am not sure that they have defined a "safe area"

The actual "key code" bar code is out between the edge of the film and the perfs, but the "Footage Numbers" seem to come at least half way down the perfs. I would guess that their is some pressure to reduce that, but given the current market I doubt that Kodak and fuji will be making any manufacturing equipment changes soon.