Timecode Problem

tony powell

Hi all. I recently shot some footage on my JVC GY-110 HDV camera,with the TC generator set to 'RecRun'. I shot about 20 minutes of footage, and only paused the camera between takes, ie: I didn't switch it off. However, when I come to digitise it in Final Cut Pro, I keep seeing in the capture window that the programme is 'searching for media', before then saying ' capturing now'. This happens most often at a start of a clip, but occasionally half way through a clip, meaning that I'm losing some crucial footage, although it's all there on the tape. When I set the programme to continue capturing over timecode breaks, I get the message ' there is a problem with the incoming stream. This may be a problem with the tape', even though the tape was brand new out of it's wrapper, and I don't get that message when I deselect the 'abort capture on timecode break', when the programme just seems to make a new clip instead.Can anyone tell me what's going on ? Thanks

Hi all. I recently shot some footage on my JVC GY-110 HDV camera,with the TC generator set to 'RecRun'. I shot about 20 minutes of footage, and only paused the camera between takes, ie: I didn't switch it off. However, when I come to digitise it in Final Cut Pro, I keep seeing in the capture window that the programme is 'searching for media', before then saying ' capturing now'. This happens most often at a start of a clip, but occasionally half way through a clip, meaning that I'm losing some crucial footage, although it's all there on the tape. When I set the programme to continue capturing over timecode breaks, I get the message ' there is a problem with the incoming stream. This may be a problem with the tape', even though the tape was brand new out of it's wrapper, and I don't get that message when I deselect the 'abort capture on timecode break', when the programme just seems to make a new clip instead.Can anyone tell me what's going on ? Thanks

Sometimes, I get notes from post about "timecode breaks." Why they show up, I don't know, but they do sometimes and cause problems when digitizing. Timecode breaks seem to happen whenever the camera powers down and you don't hit "return" to reestablish the proper starting point.

The workaround is to lay your master off to another tape in order to establish a new timecode track. THEN use that new "master" to digitize so you won't lose any footage and your timecode will be continuous. Why you'd lose timecode halfway through a "clip" is odd and I can't say I've ever heard of that happening, at least on pro gear. If it is a problem, a call to JVC is likely in order.

Good luck!

Capturing JVC HDV tapes to Final Cut has always been a problem for me. Instead I use DVHSCAP to record it as an .m2t and convert it with MPEGStreamclip (or clipwrap if you have it). That has been the most efficient and reliable method I've found.

You can download DVHSCAP here: https://developer.apple.com/downloads/download.action?path=FireWire/firewire_sdk_26_for_mac_os_x_20416/firewiresdk26.dmg

I think you have to register as a Apple Developer first but I believe it's free and quick. I do believe you will lose the TC though, so it may not be much help to you.

Edited by Benjamin G