Bargain Blu-Ray DVDs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many retailers are dropping the prices of older catalog titles in an effort to compete with the likes of Amazon. You go in there to purchase cheap Blu-rays and come out with full price Transformers DOTM or Thor. Great marketing.

• Premium Member

It has much to do with the beginning of the end of the DVD and Bluray markets. VOD is starting to overtake how people see movies. New TV's are built with VOD capabilities in mind and of course the Wii, Playstation, Apple TV, XBox, etc. all do it as well. I personally like to own a film on BluRay but as more DVD specific stores close down, VOD will only gain more ground.

On the business side of indie films, I can tell you from first-hand knowledge that a good VOD deal is now more important to spend your time on developing than anything else. Studios will keep doing DVD for a while, but indies won't be looking down that road anymore, or can't.

I just hope it becomes even more integrated quickly into TV's/game systems... the thought of people seeing films on laptops and other grossly inappropriate means is sickening.

• Premium Member

Ok, well the choices are: Accept what is coming and its continuous improvements, and apply this to your understanding of working in and consuming film, or hold on to what has already started to wane and will be mostly gone in the near future.

One makes more sense to some it seems.

How about rubbish films nobody wants to buy/watch so sell them off ! Or is that to simple for you ?

I have to say that is simply not true. Many great movies are at $10 or even less. It doesn't mean they are crap. Amazon.com sell a huge amount of discounted BD's and the brick and mortar shops are simply trying to compete with those prices..

And blu-ray.com has a tracker so you get an e-mail once your target price is reached. :lol:

Indeed it does and very useful it is too.

Were those the theatrical or extended versions of LOTR Paulo? I just purchased the extended trilogy for less that $50 from amazon. They will be a Christmas present.

My problem is that I am impatient and want the new releases as soon as they come out. But that is my decision. I agree that if you are prepared to wait you can pick up some real bargains. Picked up the complete Battlestar Galactica for less than $100 including shipping.