Ides of March

Did anyone else notice how radically different the release print for IDES OF MARCH looks from the web trailers?

I know it's not uncommon for the trailer to be cut from the dailies transfer, which might not exactly recreate the look dialed in in the final DI, and of course the trailer generally gets a dedicated grade that leads to a more "extreme" look which might be overwhelming or irritating in a feature. And of course it's a web view vs. a film print in a theater.

That said, the look of the print on Ides of March is so deliberate (riffing on 70s Gordon Willis paranoid thrillers like PARALLAX VIEW and ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN really beautifully; it's worth a watch for the cinematography alone, and it's also a fantastic movie) that I would guess it was built in at the dailies.

So, I think maybe the trailers were deliberately graded in a more modern, saturated, grain free fashion. Interesting world we're getting into now, but I guess it makes sense; as beautiful as the print is, it might be a little off putting in a trailer.

Anyway, cinematography fans, check it out, great movie, great camera work.

• Premium Member

I think maybe the trailers were deliberately graded in a more modern, saturated, grain free fashion.

Trailers are done and in release weeks before the film itself. So, they're often graded before the final decisions on the film have been made. I'm not sure how it works on major studio features, but in low budgets, the DP doesn't get consulted on the trailers.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Did anyone else notice how radically different the release print for IDES OF MARCH looks from the web trailers?

At least some "Dan in Real Life" trailers were radically different from the release prints. The trailer I saw at the local AMC24 was tack sharp, it looked like it could have been a contact print from the negative. But the prints released to theaters were the typical low resolution 35mm high speed duplicates that look like cr*p.

I'm not a big Steve Carell fan, the only reason I bought a ticket and went out to see it was because I expected a visual treat. Instead I fell victim to what amounted to a photographic "Bait and Switch".

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Trailers are done and in release weeks before the film itself. So, they're often graded before the final decisions on the film have been made. I'm not sure how it works on major studio features, but in low budgets, the DP doesn't get consulted on the trailers.

-- J.S.

Hence why there is sometimes footage shown in trailers that is not seen in the final film.

• 3 weeks later...

-- J.S.

That is definitely true.The teaser for The Bourne Legacy has just been released yest my girlfriends sister watched them filming in El Nido Philippines only last week.

There's a few shots that I am in love with in this movie. The turning point behind the American Flag and lighting of the bar scene at the end where he confronts Clooney. The classic, thought out look of the movie had me floored.

I really think Clooney studied his friend Soderberg as their style is quite similar, in a good way.

• 2 months later...

I heard good things about this movie. Yet another one on my to watch list when it comes out in Blu-ray.

It is actually a good film.

Kind of intelligent and about the things that happen to people. I liked it.

You should definitely check it out! :)

love

Freya