VFX - man passing wheat ear which then turns into brochure

Hi

We are going to be filming this shot and I wanted to get some ideas from the community for advice on achieving this shot.

It's going to be a man passing some wheat ears to another person or dropping on table and we want them to turn into a brochure or business cards.

Any advice on filming and vfx to achieve this? We would like to make it look reasonably good but nothing super fancy.

Ps: we don't have skills to make 3d renderings so we would like to avoid that. (we do use After Effects)

Thanx!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We are going to be filming this shot and I wanted to get some ideas from the community for advice on achieving this shot.

It's going to be a man passing some wheat ears to another person or dropping on table and we want them to turn into a brochure or business cards.

Any advice on filming and vfx to achieve this? We would like to make it look reasonably good but nothing super fancy.

Ps: we don't have skills to make 3d renderings so we would like to avoid that. (we do use After Effects)

Thanx!

I've done a lot of morphs and still take Avid's name in vein after they bought Elastic Reality and essentially dropped the ball. My original Elastic Reality software still runs though even on Windows 7! After Effects is a good adjunct to morphing details, but not a great morphing package.

Regarding the shot you have in mind, the best morphs are usually done between two similar objects. That's why a face to face morph looks like magic and word morphs often don't. It's really just matching edge distortion and a dissolve, but if you can see the distortion as distortion the magic breaks down and it just looks like a bad morph.

Going from wheat to a flat square shape (card or brochure) isn't going to work very well unless you can design in some intermediary shape that looks meaningful or perhaps just morph from the wheat to an element of the brochure or card and then sneak or bring the other elements in more conventionally.

Shot wise after the morph element concept is solved, you have to decide how simply you want to do it. The simplest is a lock-down for the morph part itself. There you only have to make your move (if you have a move) and park on the end to substitute your card or brochure in a close matching position to set up the morph. This part can be done as placing scanned or another realistic image in compositing.

If you get more complicated as in a commercial of some substance, there are some great 3D match moving software packages out there now (Real Viz -now Maya Match Mover is what I use and used to teach on occasion) if you shoot so they can get enough data to recreate the camera lens and motion path. This of course adds a couple of layers of complication to doing the morph and the shooting some extra production value. In this case with a traveling shot you need to build parallax into the camera motion and or have some other still shots just as 3d space reference taken from other angles (can even be a different camera as the software is very smart). In this case, either the wheat or the end object would be most practically done as CGI. If done right, the match moving stuff in CGI is more accurate than the human eye.

Again, the locked down shot is about 20 times easier.

David Gregg