DVX settings advice / 1st time shooter

Hey guys & gals,

So apparently I am going to DP my first short this weekend, as I come from the lighting side of things my camera knowledge has some holes in it. I was wondering if any one had any advice on camera settings for the DVX100a. I want the image to appear as close to 35mm as possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks In Advance

I want the image to appear as close to 35mm as possible.
Who are you kidding, you want the DVX to look like 35mm negative?

The closest thing you can do is use the PS Tecnik, which will allow you to have film like depth of field. You'll lose 2 stops though, and it sucks for hand held. I usually always stack a bunch of filters on the DVX to make it look "unique." One thing I do love about the DVX is how much you can play with filters.

Good luck

Who are you kidding, you want the DVX to look like 35mm negative? 

The closest thing you can do is use the PS Tecnik, which will allow you to have film like depth of field.  You'll lose 2 stops though, and it sucks for hand held.  I usually always stack a bunch of filters on the DVX to make it look "unique."  One thing I do love about the DVX is how much you can play with filters.

Good luck

well i know its like asking for a black crayon on white poster board to look like an ansel adams photo but I'm just after what i can get.

well i know its like asking for a black crayon on white poster board to look like an ansel adams photo but I'm just after what i can get.

I've used the dvx before, as well as 16mm and 35mm. If you want it to look like 35mm, or to many degrees, even 16mm negative, just forget about it. However, if you want it to look AS CLOSE TO 35mm as possible, that really depends on your lighting set up. One thing to avoid is bright areas and as much as possible, avoid shooting outdoors; and as I've discovered, make sure the set is naturally dark and use studio lights to control the set as much as possible.

One misleading thought that many people tend to advocate is that you must light digital as if you were lighting with film. However, since digital cameras like the dvx allow you to manipulate the settings in-camera, you really need to talk to your director concerning what "look" they specifically want.