telecine vs. filmchain

Mark Allen

I searched the forums here but couldn't find this information... (surprisingly)

I was curious if someone could compare the quality of a filmchain to a telecine with super8. I've seen both - but the origination footage was so vastly different. I'm imagining that of course the telecine would be cleaner - but by how much? The origination footage in this case is 20 to 30 year old 8mm movie footage... about 2 hours worth.

And for either service, I'm open to recommendations in the Los Angeles (CA) or Mauii (Hawaii) area... or if the absolute best place is somewhere else, I'm opent to that as well.

Thanks in advance.

I'd like to encourage you friends out there to give us a list of film transfer technologies in order of quality. And dollar for dollar what companies are the best. My only experience was Cinepost. I have not idea how they compare with others.

We've assembled a list of the various telecine options available (internationally) on www.onsuper8.org ranging from pro-telecine, film chain and scan through to diy options and grandma transfers to DVD. You pays for what you get really. If you can afford it flying spot every time, but there are other cheaper frame by frame scan options which give excellent results.

Giles

www.onsuper8.org

• 2 weeks later...

There's no comparison as far as quality goes.

And I should mention, that I got a film-chain transfer once, just for a quicksort of "pre-edit daily" situation, and they magled my film.

They're used to doing transfers of "uncle Joe's 1967 baptism footage" or whatever, and even though I made a big deal out of telling them it was professional footage, and they could NOT cut any film, even if it got eaten in the projector, etc., they chopped off head & tail frames (a lot, too!) to splice it together with someone elses footage to transfer, then chopped again to put them back onto my reels.

I was about to flip out, I was so mad, and needless to say, I refused payment.

You gotta be careful, and when you go with professional telecine, it's not just the equipment, but the professionalism you're paying for.

Matt Pacini

A year ago, I had read that Cintel was releasing a scanner called DataMill that was going to be able to scan various formats (including super 8) at 2k resolution at about 12fps, which is quite fast. Anyone know of a post house using DataMill with a Super 8 gate yet? If not, who does a 2k scan in the U.S.?

• Premium Member

Film and Video Transfers in Northridge California offers both film chain and "telecine" (aka Rank Cintel).

I have been able to see regular 8mm transfered on their film chain and it is remarkably good. I've seen some regular 8mm that was 50 years old look quite spectacular. Their Rank Cintel transfer is even more remarkable, and it also offers wetgate.

Film and Video Transfers is located in Northridge, California.

I feel the need to beg others not take up too much of their time as it really can slow them down when they have to answer a LOT of questions, especially from some people who actually have no intention of using them but just want to shoot the breeze.

It happens, way more than you may think.

Basically, the best approach is to ask them to do a small sample of a hundred feet, on both transfer systems (of course it won't be for free, but it will probably be well under a hundred bucks).

Then based on that small job, compare which transfer system did the best job with the exact same footage.

The Northridge company is quite reasonable. Is the Rank transfer going to be lesser than a Thomson Shadow transfer? There's a company in Seattle (which is closer to my home town of Portland) with a Thomson Shadow and it's $300 hr. which I'll pay if it's a better transfer.

...I also just want to add that I hope if Yale starts doing K40, you'll let us know asap (this from a recent thread, not this one).