The Passion of Joan of Arc

Holy Cow!

Just saw this film for the first time. I'm completely blown away. I think a good part of it's impact has to do with how pristine the 1928 print is.

Once again, thanks Criterion!

Shawn

Holy Cow!

Just saw this film for the first time. I'm completely blown away. I think a good part of it's impact has to do with how pristine the 1928 print is.

Once again, thanks Criterion!

The original print was found in a psychiatric ward where it was locked away for many decades. Whatever interested the doctors about the subject, it saved the film for posterity. :)

Yes, I read and heard about that (dvd notes and commentary). The film scholar that did the commentary said something about one of the doctors being an amateur historian and particularly being into the French Revolution at the time.

I've been watching mostly silent films for the last few months, for personal interest and edification, and I'm re-realizing the power of a music score. The music by Anonymous 4 enriched The Passion in unexpected ways. The abstract use of certain instruments to represent action within many silent films fascinates me. It makes silent cinema feel much more like a graphic art than do most of the talkies that make up most of the body of the history of cinema, to me. Recorded sync sound has given way to mere imitation of reality, where the human voice is everything. In any case, this much time spent with silent cinema has opened my eyes and ears to more of the potential of cinema.

Joan Of Arc feels so damn modern with it's dollying and plethora of closeups! Amazing amazing.