Panaflex focal plane shutters

Erkan Umut

Hi Folks,

I never found an opportunity to work with PFX cameras.

What I know is they have two independent shutters, one with butterfly mirror reflex, the other with spinning focal plane. I have seen the pictures and drawings of mirror butterfly, but the focal plane. Do you have any pictures or drawings of that?

By the way, I have read that XL series use the oscillating reflex mirror apart from focal one.

Thank you for all replies!

Best

• Premium Member

Hi Folks,

I never found an opportunity to work with PFX cameras.

What I know is they have two independent shutters, one with butterfly mirror reflex, the other with spinning focal plane. I have seen the pictures and drawings of mirror butterfly, but the focal plane. Do you have any pictures or drawings of that?

By the way, I have read that XL series use the oscillating reflex mirror apart from focal one.

Thank you for all replies!

Best

OK it's based on the Mitchell that started life without reflex viewing. The first shutter is adjustable on a Mitchell 0^170 degrees, PV's don't fully close because the widest is 220 degrees. Imagine 2 semi circles of black metal that can move relative to each other, so the open shutter can be any angle you like.

The viewing mirror shutter just covers one of the shutter blades, it's not a butterfly.

I have some drawings at home, however I am away for a week-

OK it's based on the Mitchell that started life without reflex viewing. The first shutter is adjustable on a Mitchell 0^170 degrees, PV's don't fully close because the widest is 220 degrees. Imagine 2 semi circles of black metal that can move relative to each other, so the open shutter can be any angle you like.

The viewing mirror shutter just covers one of the shutter blades, it's not a butterfly.

I have some drawings at home, however I am away for a week-

Thank you Steven!

I know Mitchell systems and variable shutters well.

Most of the latest PFX systems use butterfly type reflex mirror shutters for viewing only synced with the focal plane shutters for exposure, except XL and XL2, where there is an oscillating mirror and a focal plane shutter.

I have seen pictures of them, except XL series, showing only butterfly mirror shutters on the books and manuals.

What I need is a picture or a drawing of the focal plane shutters of PFX systems.

Edited by Erkan Umut