Editing on a PC Laptop?

Mei Lewis

My desktop computer is getting seriously old (3-4 years) and I need to get a new machine. I'm thinking of getting a laptop now and a new desktop sometime in the next 6-12 months.

I'll use the laptop primarily for some light work on stills in Lightroom and the usual email, web and office stuff but I'd also like to be able to do some basic video editing.

Does anyone edit HDSLR footage on a PC laptop? What's the experience like?

I basically want something that has:

•  
  • 1080P screen
  • Numeric keypad (for use as shortcut keys in lightroom)
  • Fast enough for video editing (5D2 footage in Premiere Pro)
  • HDMI Out
  • Able to add SSD at a later date.

Would one of these be okay for basic editing?

http://search.dell.co.uk/1/1/140701-dell-xps-17-laptop-intel-centrino-wireless-n-1030-1x2-b-g-n-bluetooth-combo-card.html

Dell XPS 17 Laptop - Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor 2.2GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz

6GB (1x2GB, 1x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel SDRAM

1TB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Dual HDD - (2x500GB)

DVD+/-RW (DVD, CD read and write)

3GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M Graphics Card - 3D Capable

17.3 inch (44 cm) FHD 3D WLED TL (1920x1080) 1080p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera

English Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

Silver Anodized Aluminum Cover

1 Year Next Day Hardware Support

Is there a PC laptop that a lot of people use for this sort of stuff?

I've done quite a lot more readin garound now and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Dell machine.

This thread on creative cow says the GPU is (unofficially) supported in PP CS5 which is exactly what I want.

I'm getting the version with RAID HDs, I figure in a year or so I could always swap top SSD for a nice speed boost, when the preice comes down.

• Premium Member
which is exactly what I want.

Yes it certainly is - the speedup is phenomenal.

Bear in mind that hard disk prices are currently rocketing due to the crocodile-infested status of many Thai manufacturing plants after the recent floods. God forbid we should use the opportunity to build a hard disk manufacturing plant here.

God forbid we should use the opportunity to build a hard disk manufacturing plant here.[/size][/color]

Manufacture something in a G7 country? That's a good one Phil, hilarious!!

R,

• Premium Member

Bear in mind that hard disk prices are currently rocketing due to the crocodile-infested status of many Thai manufacturing plants after the recent floods.

I'd expect this to be a temporary supply issue, nowhere near as big as the earthquake/tsunami in Japan. Back to normal in 2Q12....

-- J.S.