My Bolex EBM Test

Robin Leveille

I bought a Bolex EBM a couple months ago without a lens or battery. I got a battery and switch made by Du-All Camera, a Bolex bayonet to canon FD mount by JK camera and I bought a Bayonet to c-mount adapter on ebay. For glass I got a canon FD 24mm 2.8 and a switar 10mm 1.6 preset. Finally went ahead and put some kodak 50D through it last week and sent the film off to technicolor.

enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/31978176

Robin Leveille

50d rules. Plus it looks like it handled any exposure errors you might of had as well. I got a screaming deal on a factory (Swiss) Super 16 converted EBM package with lens for less that $700. Love the framing mask they put in the viewfinder at the factory. Even came in original boxes. Now if I can just find a similar EL mkIII!

Thanks guys. I'm really happy the camera works.

I had to push the blacks a little in post. I used the iphone app called pocket lightmeter to figure out my exposure.. bad idea. it's really not accurate. I'll do another test with a Sekonic next week.

Nicholas that film is lovely! I don't think they sell double perf 50D anymore. I could only find single perforated. I shot at 24ps and the slowmotion a 50fps. the EBM doesnt offer 48 or 60 unfortunately. maybe Fuji still has double. not sure though.

-Robin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

(...) I had to push the blacks a little in post. I used the iphone app called pocket lightmeter to figure out my exposure.. bad idea. it's really not accurate. I'll do another test with a Sekonic next week. (...)

Did you compensate for the beamsplitter light-loss? If your footage is all about one stop too dark that would be the reason.

Did you compensate for the beamsplitter light-loss? If your footage is all about one stop too dark that would be the reason.

I did for the Canon but the switar preset is already designed with the prism in mind. I think it was a bad use of the stupid app. I tested a sekonic next to the iphone app and its all wrong.

• Premium Member

I did for the Canon but the switar preset is already designed with the prism in mind. I think it was a bad use of the stupid app. I tested a sekonic next to the iphone app and its all wrong.

Hi Robin,

just thought you should know, the Switar (and any other lens marked RX) is designed to compensate for the optical aberrations introduced by the prism, but not the light loss. The iris markings relate to the lens alone. You should calculate your exposure the same for every lens.

• 1 month later...

Hi Robin,

just thought you should know, the Switar (and any other lens marked RX) is designed to compensate for the optical aberrations introduced by the prism, but not the light loss. The iris markings relate to the lens alone. You should calculate your exposure the same for every lens.

You're absolutely right and with that I did another test that came out perfect. THANKS!!